Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Ich have played many RPGs and here are some ideas for what should be done or not done, especially when compared to former BG or Larian games.
At the moment I would say that Pathfinder Kingmaker is the best classic RPG out there, so it would be nice to take some inspirations from there (e.g. the way how resting is done, most quests are good, especially the fact that you can fail them if you take too long or do something dumb.) Just the user interface could have been better, so it is easier to see all importent information and select abilities for your char.
I have not played DnD5, just DnD2 and 3 so far.

- No exponential power scaling.
In DOS2, the equipment of a level is always much better than any equipment with one level less. This leads to completely inflated stats. At level 1 you do a few points of damage, later hundrets and even later thousends of points.
I am happy the game uses the DnD system. Every level feels importent, but the numbers do not raise like crazy.

I really liked the way items were handeled in BG1. You start with generic stuff and finding your first longsword+1 feels really importend. An item+2 with an additional effect is a great artifact.
If epic stuff can be found around every corner, it is not epic anymore. In ToB you find a +5 item everywhere and in DOS2 you get epic items in every shop. My first magic item in BG1 felt way more importent than any item in these games.

- No more completely random items
All Larian games had random items. I guess that was because Divine Divinity was a Diablo clone ( combat wise, DD is much better because story, world interactivity and hand crafted world). No idea why Diablo did it that way, but Larian kept the concept for all later games. In D, DD and D2 you have a single char. In DOS1+2, where you have a full party, it can be really annoying to equip 4 chars with random stuff and the result often looks very weired and inconsistent.
Since it is DnD there could be the following kind of randomness:
Enemies drop the items they have, which means enemies without equipment (animal, ghosts, . . .) do not drop anything except parts of their body (e.g. pelt) or if there is a good reason for it (This wolf has stolen my sword. Why?? I mean it cannot even use it. Anyway, please get it back.)
Lets say you fight an army. So regular soldiers drop a generic weapon and armor, high rank members drop equipment+1 with 1 random bonus effect and the general drops a plate armor+2 with 2 random bonus effects, a greatsword+3 with 2 random bonus effects and a helmet that is an unique artifact with fixed stats.
Treasure chests could have random items when it is consistent with DnD regarding item type and quality.

- No levels or level requirements for equipment.
Characters have levels, not items. If I manage to beat the troll who is 5 levels stronger than me, than I deserve to use his giant axe, if I have the strengh to carry it and the profiency to use it.

- Shops should not get new items every hour or every level up.
It just doesn´t make any sense for me and it discourages continoues gameplay.
If shops get new stuff, then only because of story reasons, like you have killed the bandits who attacked the caravans that deliver supplies to the city.

-I like the origin stories of DOS2: You can chose the background (including race and gender) but you can freely chose their class.
In DnD there may be problems in some cases. A paladin with a background as bandit? the priest of a good god who made contracts with demons in the past? A druid with a background of a factory worker in a big town?
It was fine in DOS2 where you only chose your stats and combat style. But if classes actually have a meaning and quests or dialogues may depend both on your class and background, it could lead to some bizarre results.
For a DnD game I liked the PK way, where companions start with a class and stats fitting to their personality, but you can level them up as you like.

- I think that Illithids are a strange choice as main enemy.
They are powerful creatures and their mind control abilities can easily destroy your party. So either it takes a long time until you actually encounter them or the game gives you a plot item that somehow protects you or weakens them. Else they would just enslave or eat you at your first encounter. The video looks like a lot of people are turned into these monsters. So the chances of survival for a low level party are close to zero.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
enthusiast
enthusiast
Well most of the things you don't want are basically impossible in DND like scaling items and it's already confirmed that the mind flayers are not the main antagonists but they play an important role within the story.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Madscientist
Ich have played many RPGs and here are some ideas for what should be done or not done, especially when compared to former BG or Larian games.
At the moment I would say that Pathfinder Kingmaker is the best classic RPG out there, so it would be nice to take some inspirations from there (e.g. the way how resting is done, most quests are good, especially the fact that you can fail them if you take too long or do something dumb.) Just the user interface could have been better, so it is easier to see all importent information and select abilities for your char.
I have not played DnD5, just DnD2 and 3 so far.

- No exponential power scaling.
In DOS2, the equipment of a level is always much better than any equipment with one level less. This leads to completely inflated stats. At level 1 you do a few points of damage, later hundrets and even later thousends of points.
I am happy the game uses the DnD system. Every level feels importent, but the numbers do not raise like crazy.

I really liked the way items were handeled in BG1. You start with generic stuff and finding your first longsword+1 feels really importend. An item+2 with an additional effect is a great artifact.
If epic stuff can be found around every corner, it is not epic anymore. In ToB you find a +5 item everywhere and in DOS2 you get epic items in every shop. My first magic item in BG1 felt way more importent than any item in these games.

- No more completely random items
All Larian games had random items. I guess that was because Divine Divinity was a Diablo clone ( combat wise, DD is much better because story, world interactivity and hand crafted world). No idea why Diablo did it that way, but Larian kept the concept for all later games. In D, DD and D2 you have a single char. In DOS1+2, where you have a full party, it can be really annoying to equip 4 chars with random stuff and the result often looks very weired and inconsistent.
Since it is DnD there could be the following kind of randomness:
Enemies drop the items they have, which means enemies without equipment (animal, ghosts, . . .) do not drop anything except parts of their body (e.g. pelt) or if there is a good reason for it (This wolf has stolen my sword. Why?? I mean it cannot even use it. Anyway, please get it back.)
Lets say you fight an army. So regular soldiers drop a generic weapon and armor, high rank members drop equipment+1 with 1 random bonus effect and the general drops a plate armor+2 with 2 random bonus effects, a greatsword+3 with 2 random bonus effects and a helmet that is an unique artifact with fixed stats.
Treasure chests could have random items when it is consistent with DnD regarding item type and quality.

- No levels or level requirements for equipment.
Characters have levels, not items. If I manage to beat the troll who is 5 levels stronger than me, than I deserve to use his giant axe, if I have the strengh to carry it and the profiency to use it.

- Shops should not get new items every hour or every level up.
It just doesn´t make any sense for me and it discourages continoues gameplay.
If shops get new stuff, then only because of story reasons, like you have killed the bandits who attacked the caravans that deliver supplies to the city.

-I like the origin stories of DOS2: You can chose the background (including race and gender) but you can freely chose their class.
In DnD there may be problems in some cases. A paladin with a background as bandit? the priest of a good god who made contracts with demons in the past? A druid with a background of a factory worker in a big town?
It was fine in DOS2 where you only chose your stats and combat style. But if classes actually have a meaning and quests or dialogues may depend both on your class and background, it could lead to some bizarre results.
For a DnD game I liked the PK way, where companions start with a class and stats fitting to their personality, but you can level them up as you like.

- I think that Illithids are a strange choice as main enemy.
They are powerful creatures and their mind control abilities can easily destroy your party. So either it takes a long time until you actually encounter them or the game gives you a plot item that somehow protects you or weakens them. Else they would just enslave or eat you at your first encounter. The video looks like a lot of people are turned into these monsters. So the chances of survival for a low level party are close to zero.

Items are likely to work like they do in D&D 5e more or less. D&D 5e has it's own background mechanics called backgrounds, which grant two skill profiencies, 2 langues/tool profiencies, and a feature. And yes in D&D 5e you can be a Paladin Bandit, play a Paladin with the Criminal Background which Grant's profiencies in Thieves Tools. Or multiclass Paladin and Rogue then choose Thief at level 3. Paladin's don't have alignment restrictions in 5e. Also it's possible the upcoming Partu Patron mechanic will be in the game. As another has said, the Mindflayers aren't the main enemy, whatever scares them is.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hello, fellow BG fan! You make a few good points but I am definitely not on board with time limits on quests. Sure, Baldur's Gate is no stranger to such restrictions but they are very few and far between. Having the game set the pace for you would severely restrict the player's freedom and make playthroughs much more linear and uniform, which doesn't bear well on replay value as far as I can tell. I don't play games for realism, you know. I play them so I can unplug from work and mundane real life activities. I hope there will be no hunger or thirst bar in the game.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard