Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Okay so that next Eberron book mentions a new mechanic called the Group Patron which is like a background for the whole party and I'm wondering if the source of this idea is Larian Studios and BG 3?

As we know Larian Studios has been talking up increasing the importance of the party and the party dynamic to the point of "gather your party" as a slogan.

So does anyone else think we will see this Patron Mechanic in BG 3?

What form do you think it will take and what benefits will it offer if it is in BG3?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Honestly, I don't think we will see it in BG3, as it is a mechanic that belongs to a different setting. Larian Studio's only has a license for Forgotten Realms.

addict
addict
I for one hate the npc. Just trying to keep them alive is a game in its self.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
L
addict
addict
L
So instead of say your warlock having a patron.....the whole party has a patron?
I.e. a powerful entity/group that gives you power, quests etc.
Thats good to roleplay etc. In a pc game they can give special quests,items etc
Goals and alignment of the patron must be compared to goals and alignment of thevparty.
Where thats in conflict that more interesting to roleplay.

veteran
veteran
I liked the group feats you got in Storm of Zehir (NWN2), feats for the whole party that improved group accuracy, saves, etc in some situations. Some of them you got depending on your decisions in the adventure and some need specific skills or feats from your party members.
In Pathfinder (tabletop and Videogame) you have team feats, but not a common background. I really like to see this in BG3 but that does not exist in FR D&D.

I do not think the group background is related to this, and I agree with @NobodySpecial asessment. I would be cool to have some but I do not expect to see them ingame. Maybe if Eberron becomes a popular setting (LOL) and they made a DLC...

Last edited by _Vic_; 20/08/19 09:22 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Just because its coming out first in an Eberron book, doesn't mean they won't port it to FR in another book, there is nothing specifically Eberron about the concept of a Party Patron Mechanic, the specific examples in the Eberrin book will likely be Eberron specific, but if the port the mechanic to other books, FR could get its own Party Patrons options.

And no this is unrelated to Warlock Patrons.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well, I suppose this mechanic is a favorite of DMs to 'center' the PCs, via an NPC, in a campaign, but I doubt Larian had anything to do with it.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Ignatius
Well, I suppose this mechanic is a favorite of DMs to 'center' the PCs, via an NPC, in a campaign, but I doubt Larian had anything to do with it.

This mechanic isn't released yet so how can it be a favorite of DMs?

S
veteran
veteran
S
Imo this mechanic doesnt fit into a video game.
the problem in DnD video games is usually not that the game is too loose, too sandbox or not focused enaugh, usually the problem with video game adaptations is that the story is too narrow and doent allow for enaugh deviation

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard