Divinity Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Swen On Fan Expectations For Baldur's Gate 3 [Re: korotama] #657443
30/11/19 10:00 PM
30/11/19 10:00 PM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 491
Norway
The Composer Offline
addict
The Composer  Offline
addict

Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 491
Norway
Originally Posted by korotama
Originally Posted by Raze

Describing reality accurately is not an appeal to anything, except maybe common sense.

There is a logical fallacy called "Appeal to Common Sense" too. Obviously what is common sense to you may not be common sense to anyone else.


Common sense is the same common sense for everyone. That's where the 'common' bit comes in.

Originally Posted by korotama

For instance, some developers keep a development diary letting fans know what features they can look forward to. It boils down to making development less of a black box and engaging your audience in a way that piques their interest.


Larian has done this frequently with their games. In fact, they even posted 52 updates and 16 FAQ entries about it. So I'm not sure entirely what your argument is; Should Larian already have a full feature-creep list of everything planned for BG3, including a tidied out roadmap about the whole process this early in the process?

Even then, please refer to any single academic or legal source online that makes this a fact beyond opinion, that claims marketing should work a certain way in which you're implying (Of which, to be perfectly honest, I have a hard time understanding the logic of. Sorry!)

I'm personally extremely hyped about Halo Infinite, but I'm not pissing myself over not knowing everything about what that game entails. And that's a year away from release, way less time than BG3.



Last edited by The Composer; 30/11/19 10:01 PM.
Re: Swen On Fan Expectations For Baldur's Gate 3 [Re: The Composer] #657444
30/11/19 10:07 PM
30/11/19 10:07 PM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 66
korotama Offline OP
journeyman
korotama  Offline OP
journeyman

Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 66
Yep, my argument is that Larian provide as much information to people like me as they humanly can if they are going to charge $60 for it. They don't have to spoil the story but even if they did, I'd still buy it if it was a home run. I had spoiled BG1 and 2 for myself and I still beat them and loved them.

Re: Swen On Fan Expectations For Baldur's Gate 3 [Re: korotama] #657445
30/11/19 10:09 PM
30/11/19 10:09 PM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 491
Norway
The Composer Offline
addict
The Composer  Offline
addict

Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 491
Norway
You'll have to patiently wait like the rest of us.

Re: Swen On Fan Expectations For Baldur's Gate 3 [Re: korotama] #657446
30/11/19 10:17 PM
30/11/19 10:17 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 26,708
Canada
Raze Offline

Larian Studios
Raze  Offline

Larian Studios

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 26,708
Canada
Originally Posted by korotama
There is a logical fallacy called "Appeal to Common Sense" too.

There is also a logical fallacy about inaccurately claiming something is a logical fallacy (speaking of semantics).
I wasn't actually relying on common sense to argue anything; I stated demonstrably true statements about reality. If I was using a logical fallacy, you would presumably be able to dispute the content of what I said (again, this is just semantics).


Originally Posted by korotama
Yep, my argument is that Larian provide as much information to people like me as they humanly can if they are going to charge $60 for it.

There will definitely be more information released about the game before it is available for purchase.

Re: Swen On Fan Expectations For Baldur's Gate 3 [Re: Raze] #657447
30/11/19 10:23 PM
30/11/19 10:23 PM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 66
korotama Offline OP
journeyman
korotama  Offline OP
journeyman

Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 66
Thank you.

Re: Swen On Fan Expectations For Baldur's Gate 3 [Re: The Composer] #657448
30/11/19 10:28 PM
30/11/19 10:28 PM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 66
korotama Offline OP
journeyman
korotama  Offline OP
journeyman

Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by The Composer


Even then, please refer to any single academic or legal source online that makes this a fact beyond opinion, that claims marketing should work a certain way in which you're implying (Of which, to be perfectly honest, I have a hard time understanding the logic of. Sorry!)



Will AMA's code of conduct suffice?
Link: http://www.dguth.journalism.ku.edu/AMA-Ethics.pdf

Re: Swen On Fan Expectations For Baldur's Gate 3 [Re: korotama] #657449
30/11/19 10:47 PM
30/11/19 10:47 PM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 491
Norway
The Composer Offline
addict
The Composer  Offline
addict

Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 491
Norway
Sure would. Nice find btw, is interesting to read.

After having read through, I remain confident however that there's nothing ethically wrong with Larian's marketing. (I can't claim legally, as I am not a legal expert, nor does the document constitute law)

Last edited by The Composer; 30/11/19 10:48 PM. Reason: Inaccurate statement reformulated
Re: Swen On Fan Expectations For Baldur's Gate 3 [Re: The Composer] #657450
30/11/19 11:05 PM
30/11/19 11:05 PM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 66
korotama Offline OP
journeyman
korotama  Offline OP
journeyman

Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by The Composer
Sure would. Nice find btw, is interesting to read.

After having read through, I remain confident however that there's nothing ethically wrong with Larian's marketing. (I can't claim legally, as I am not a legal expert, nor does the document constitute law)


Yeah, marketing is a philosophy in its own right so there are different codes of conduct and the legal framework regulating such activities depends on where you do business obviously. Perhaps Larian could shed some light on what guidelines they abide by. Hopefully the industry will begin moving in this direction soon. It never hurts to set an industry standard if you ask me.

Re: Swen On Fan Expectations For Baldur's Gate 3 [Re: The Composer] #657452
01/12/19 03:04 AM
01/12/19 03:04 AM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3,106
The Frog & Hounds
vometia Offline

Duchess of Gorgombert
vometia  Offline

Duchess of Gorgombert

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3,106
The Frog & Hounds
Originally Posted by The Composer
Sure would. Nice find btw, is interesting to read.

After having read through, I remain confident however that there's nothing ethically wrong with Larian's marketing. (I can't claim legally, as I am not a legal expert, nor does the document constitute law)

I used to work for DEC. Their marketing is a large part of the reason everyone's response is likely to be "who?" Larian's marketing is not like theirs, thankfully.


J'aime le fromage.
Re: Swen On Fan Expectations For Baldur's Gate 3 [Re: korotama] #657453
01/12/19 03:42 PM
01/12/19 03:42 PM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 19
Rhineland/Germany
Buttercheese Offline
stranger
Buttercheese  Offline
stranger

Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 19
Rhineland/Germany
Haven't read the whole thread, so pardon me if it's been said already.

Anywho, as someone who's been an active part of the BG fandom for many years, I can just say that this fandom is a fickle bunch with some very very nasty and over-demanding people in it. I can perfectly understand Swen's pov and support it. Any person with a modicum of intelligence should be able to realise that BG left some biiiiig shoes to fill, so coming out as a dev and trying to set realistic standards is imo the right way to go. BG3 is made by entirely different people than the rest of the franchise, on a different continent in a different era of gaming. Of course it's gonna be a departure from the series. Anyone who expects/demands else is delusional.

The only demand fans can make, is that the game is gonna be entertaining. How that form of entertainment is gonna work out leaves to be expected. I for one am looking forward to what Larian can bring to the table.

Last edited by Buttercheese; 01/12/19 03:43 PM.
Re: Swen On Fan Expectations For Baldur's Gate 3 [Re: Buttercheese] #657472
03/12/19 04:09 PM
03/12/19 04:09 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 327
Omegaphallic Offline
enthusiast
Omegaphallic  Offline
enthusiast

Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 327
Originally Posted by Buttercheese
Haven't read the whole thread, so pardon me if it's been said already.

Anywho, as someone who's been an active part of the BG fandom for many years, I can just say that this fandom is a fickle bunch with some very very nasty and over-demanding people in it. I can perfectly understand Swen's pov and support it. Any person with a modicum of intelligence should be able to realise that BG left some biiiiig shoes to fill, so coming out as a dev and trying to set realistic standards is imo the right way to go. BG3 is made by entirely different people than the rest of the franchise, on a different continent in a different era of gaming. Of course it's gonna be a departure from the series. Anyone who expects/demands else is delusional.

The only demand fans can make, is that the game is gonna be entertaining. How that form of entertainment is gonna work out leaves to be expected. I for one am looking forward to what Larian can bring to the table.


I agree 100%

Re: Swen On Fan Expectations For Baldur's Gate 3 [Re: korotama] #657569
06/12/19 05:51 PM
06/12/19 05:51 PM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
NineCoronas Offline
stranger
NineCoronas  Offline
stranger

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Swen's right, there will always be people with obscene expectations and will be impossible to please, and you should never try to please them all

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.2