Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
Nearby the witch Alice's house is a white rabbit. "Go ask Alice, I think she'll know! When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead and the White Knight is talking backwards and the Red Queen's off with her head. Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head. Feed your head."

Coincidence?

EDIT: OK, so the song was from the 1960s - I still DON"T think it is a coincidence. smile Only Larian knows for sure.

Last edited by caninelegion; 29/02/20 01:46 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
It's a likely reference to Lewis Carroll's Alice In Wonderland. As for the Jefferson Airplane/Starship song, I preferred this cover version by The Damned.

Edit: out of sync audio as the band's performance (already mimed for the video and with an out-of-sync audio track anyway!) is from their Smash It Up single; actually that's only part 2, the more musical sounding part 1 is here. Also my omnipresent irritation with Disney's version of anything, making it overly cutesy and Alice wasn't blonde...

Last edited by vometia; 29/02/20 02:10 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
Well, I like the Airplane cover better (It was written by Grace Slick when she was with and performed by "The Great Society" although Jefferson Airplane was the first to record it (ditto Somebody to Love) after Slick replaced their original lead singer. Why? It captures the psychedelia better and the lead singer of The Damned just doesn't have the vocal range for the song. The Damned do bring a heavier sound to it and normally I'd like that better but, not this time. Disney is to be avoided smile .

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think maybe it depends on your formative years; Jefferson Airplane had turned into Starship by the time I hit my teens and I'm still bemused that the band who did White Rabbit is the same one responsible for We Built This City... D:

A friend of mine described The Damned as kind of "Hawkwind on speed", something that caused Lemmy to get thrown out of the latter. And occasionally play bass for The Damned, oddly enough.

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
Probably, although Jefferson Starship formed up while I was in high school (10-12th grades in the USA). The only album I ever had from the Airplane was "The Worst of --" which surprisingly was quite popular while I was an undergraduate college student nearly 10 years after their break up.

Bands do change. Deep purple did both "Hush" and "Sweet Child in Time" and Black Sabbath did "Black Sabbath" and "Fairies Wear Boots" smile . I really have trouble keeping up to date. My current favorite band has been together some 20 years although they had a major lineup change some three years ago (Lacuna Coil).

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think you're doing one of your mix-ups there: Child In Time (Purple song) and Sweet Child of Mine (Guns & Roses song)! So I'm not totally sure which you meant, though now that you've mentioned it, W.Axl Rose is a bit like Ian Gillan turned up to 11.

And personally I think the Sabbath songs mentioned are very similar; and both intended to wind people up, Black Sabbath to terrify them because it would be amusing, and Fairies Wear Boots being a serious message with silly delivery, which is very Ozzy. For different I'd think of something like Air Dance, which sounds like a sort of heavy metal Abba, or Laguna Sunrise which is a rather charming acoustic-guitar-led instrumental.

Lacuna Coil I found hard to get into but they struck me as a better version of the more pop-oriented Evanescence.

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
Ah, yes. "Child in Time" from (I think) "Deep Purple In Rock" is the correct title - the lyrics are "sweet child in time --- " . For opposites, using "Hush" might not be fair too since "Hush" was a cover (possibly by Joe South? - all this remembering is giving me a headache smile ). I didn't think about the Sabbath examples that way but I could've used a better example - maybe something from "Technical Ecstasy" would have been better. Sabbath really didn't change as much as many others. Old Deep Purple (when Rod Evans was the lead singer) had a totally different sound from the Ian Gillian era and post Syd Barrett Pink Floyd is quite different from the early version.

As I recall, you were/are in to the goth scene, correct? Lacuna Coil is (I think) kind of in the grey zone so I should have guessed that you might not be into them. I've never been able to describe my music tastes as they vary so much. Basically, if I like it, I like it but almost never is it radio pop and nearly always guitar-based. Now, how do I explain Wagner and Beethoven? smile

How did we get here from OS2? All because I saw a white rabbit hopping around the witch's house. What would really be hilarious if it were all a coincidence.

Last edited by caninelegion; 02/03/20 11:01 PM.
C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
This seems to be in the same vein as the above; anyway, perhaps not worth a new thread. Sometimes there are unintentional funnies in games. It really tickled me having been through graduate school and thus losing a lot of respect that I had for professors that the Meister says (concerning master sourcerers): "--- they were deemed too powerful or insane ---- so they might be open to a teaching position." Well, I guess that was my evil deed of the day.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Oh, yeah, I was a teenage goth. In another life I might've done the full-on make-up and backcombed hair with an entire can of spray but I just settled for wearing lots of black and being miserable to the likes of the Sisters and The Neph. Oh, and The Damned, but the "more goth than thou" types hated them, which just made me love them all the more.

I didn't realise Hush was a cover; that comes as a bit of a shocker as it's sort of iconic Purple to me. Maybe Black Night instead?

Technical Ecstasy is one of my favourite Sabbath albums, along with Never Say Die and Sabotage (which I was listening to today on a rather long walk I had to embark on... local traffic meant doing 7 miles on foot was preferable to either attempting to drive or use public transport) but they seem to fare quite poorly in the overall ratings. Typical of me to gravitate towards the "difficult" stuff! Fond memories of "The Rockford Files" style synth on Back Street Kids, the rather pop-sounding It's Alright and I was about to say the awesome almost Hawkwind-esque Looking For Today/Spiral Architect pairing but that was on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. If I didn't have all this stuff available to check online I'd never remember.

I didn't say I disliked Lacuna Coil! Just that I didn't get into them. I probably would've done were they more of a thing at the time. And then there's Floyd. I've known people who think they never did anything worthwhile after Syd went off the rails and other people who worship everything Dave Gilmour did, which IMHO is Not Floyd. From my perspective, Waters and Gilmour are Floyd's Lennon and McCartney: none of whom really realised the giddy heights of their partnerships when doing their solo stuff. Waters and Lennon are much too grumpy and earnest, and too experimental in a grating sort of way; Gilmour and McCartney have the talent for melody but are just glib and ephemeral when it comes to actually saying anything really deep and meaningful, however much they try. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the solo stuff from all of them, but their co-writing skills were way better. Interestingly, my experience is that Waters put on a much better live show than The Rest Of Floyd even though they clearly had the bigger budget.

And at this point I've slightly lost track. Something to do with video games, whatever they are. Bloody kids.

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
I'm a Technical Ecstasy fan too; I only mentioned it because (from what I've read) some band members were not happy with the direction that album took the band and Ozzie quit and I'm a fan of the Barrett era pink Floyd - it was much less formulaistic.

I almost went to a Lacuna Coil concert this fall when they were in Spokane, WA but I didn't - none of my friends like them and, well, I would have stuck out big time.

As far as the Beatles? I've always felt the real talent in the band was very under used - that being George Harrison. Plus, he was a big Monty Python fan (as was Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, and Jeff Lynne). Trivia question of the day: why did I mention all of them together?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
That's a good point about George Harrison: musically he was the best of the lot, in part by sheer determination, but obviously there was innate talent there too. I think that individually he was the most talented but Lennon/McCartney had a real synergy when they would work together and I think an important part of that was making the music so accessible. Well, excepting The White Album, but y'know.

What is interesting for me is that musicians don't have to be great to contribute to what can end up being a legendary sound; on the contrary, a band that's too full of virtuosos can end up being also full of divas who compete with each other. And thinking of Pink Floyd, sometimes I wonder if they were musically that great or if it even mattered; sometimes it's hard to tell because mostly they played what's appropriate rather than showing off. I'm also reminded (though I'm not sure how true this is) that the bulk of bass playing on Animals was done by Gilmour and the guitar playing by Waters, leading to some bickering (which may or may not have been said in jest; you can never tell) that Waters wasn't good enough to play the tricky bits, leading to the retort that the guitar section of e.g. Money had to be in 4/4 time because Gilmour couldn't solo in 7/4. I suspect neither is true! Not least because even I can play the twiddly bass line in Pigs and the 7/4 part in Money and I am certainly not an awesome bass player.

The trouble with early Floyd is the amount of time we spent joking about Bike in my formative years, a song which was perhaps not their finest moment; but that sadly overshadows a lot of really awesome stuff from that era. Yes, Syd was whimsical, but whimsical is good.

As for the concert, I would just go: sod what everyone else thinks because they don't care! I've been to a few gigs on my own when I couldn't find anybody handy to go with, if I wanted to see a band I'd go and see them. And yeah, I was That Personâ„¢ who'd always wear the wrong tee shirt, usually a Hawkwind tee unless I was actually seeing them in which case it'd be Dr Feelgood or something.

And yeah, the Travelling Wilburys. I had to look up the spelling and found the smaller American contingent got their way but I'm not writing "Travelling" with one "l". :p I wish I'd listened to them at the time, but I found the name didn't draw me in and that was my full on miserable Sisters of Mercy goth teen phase. Still a huge untapped reserve of talent I still need to check out; even though neither Bob Dylan nor Roy Orbison are my cup of tea (by which I mean no disrespect to them) I haven't listened to nearly enough of Harrison's solo stuff, just in passing really, hardly anything by Tom Petty and only own ELO's greatest hits; though there were an awful lot of them and their sound was omnipresent in my '70s childhood.

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
The joke is I spelled it with two "l"s and the spell check suggested I change it when I searched it for details. It's not well known but the spelling changes were intentional to be less British at the time of the early American dictionaries. So, no "u" in color. smile I do kick myself for not going to the concert - I'll likely never get another chance as Spokane, WA isn't exactly the place that most bands aspire to go - way too small.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Apparently Mr Webster was good at compiling dictionaries, but not so good at forward thinking: making the spelling diverge has caused no end of problems. I mean okay, it does that of its own accord anyway as English dictionaries are usually (i.e. when their compiler is not making a point) descriptive rather than prescriptive, but "I know, from a misguided sense of parochialism I'll try to make our main means of communication non-standard!" wasn't a moment of genius. Apparently he wanted to take the spelling reform very much further but other people who actually just wanted to use the language put a stop to that malarky.

It's not just the US though, the UK has done its own changes as it frequently does, through humour, changes in fashion and general usage, and often sheer bloody-mindedness. The latter of which is probably the best description of the UK's preference for -ise in all circumstances, because -ize looks "too American", but we've always used a mixture and just going back a few decades, words ending in -ize were certainly much more prevalent. The OED still considers them to be the authoritative form.

J'aime le fromage.
Support
Support
Originally Posted by caninelegion
It's not well known but the spelling changes were intentional to be less British at the time of the early American dictionaries. So, no "u" in color.

I thought that was mainly due to newspapers charging for ads by the letter, and being less British was a bonus. I heard that on the internet, though, so who knows. biggrin

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I haven't heard that one, though it is amusing. The phrase "mind your Ps and Qs" comes from manual typesetting as it's so easy to get them the wrong way round; that and The "Grauniad", thanks to their notoriously wonky examples of the same, even spelling their own name wrong on at least one occasion.

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
I'm back at it: these lines, from Lohse reminiscing about her old life: Kroller, Madcap, Papa Joris. Kantner and Pappa John Creach (Jefferson Starship)? Not sure about "Madcap" unless it refers to Pete Sears who was in a band called "Manhole". There's Syd Barrett and "Madcap Laughs" but that doesn't fit at all. I know, it's a stretch but after the white rabbit at witch Alice's house, it's the first thing that popped into the old mind. Um. yeah; I'll go back to playing the game now ----

C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
Didn't want to start a new discussion for this but some things can happen that are not intended but are just so funny! After a tough battle, I used a keg and some empty bottles to fill four bottles of beer, one for each character, and had them drink it. Sabille and Lohse took off most of their clothes (I think due to intelligence = -1 when drunk) as did Ifan. Beast, being a dwarf, must have had a higher tolerance (or he was just shy) and remained fully clothed. Well, it made me laugh and that's a good thing!

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard