Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor

Kingmaker doesn't have a good story? Are you joking? a story involving the Feyworld, something mostly neglected on CRPG's, involving ancient curses, ....

I assume that's sarcasm.

And fighting the same mob? There are a lot of different mobs on kingmaker, and even when they repeat the same mob, they invent something new. Eg, the undead cyclops, fighting then on open field is completely different than fighting then in a dungeon with nasty traps that cast cloudkill which can damage the living but then are immune. On RPG codex, kingmaker is the 13th top rated rpg of all time ( https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11193 )

It's a long game. It might be longer then they have actual content for. I gave en example: Old Sycamore which is multilevel dungeon filled with same enemy composition over and over again. So far, I haven't seen anything that level of bad but the Sycamore was Neverwinter Nights1 kind of bad. And from heard I didn't see the worse Kingmaker has to offer yet. Maybe the game just gets so much better (content and story wise) but after over 40h of gameplay I don't have high hopes.

As to the list - I am not sure what it's singificance is, even if RPG Codex had any weight with me (never visited it, so it doesn't) it doesn't change how poor experience Kingmaker was for me. I played most of cRPGs, and Pathfinder is easily one of the worse ones. It could be that it's just not my kind of "Dungeon Master".

Like any NON APRG?

DOS2 for eg, i din't played much.

I didn't enjoy DoS2 either, but I think that overall idea is sound to me - the bigger issue I had with systems rather then how those systems were expressed (meaning - through game space, rather then under-the-hood dice rolls).

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Wormerine

I assume that's sarcasm.

Did you at least finished the chapter 2 before criticizing the game's lore/story?

Not liking the game is one thing, you don't like games with depth and old school design philosophy. Not liking a game and trashing a story that you don't know is not a fair criticism. You will not see me criticizing DOS2 story. Exactly because i din't played much DOS2. Other Larian games like DD, i can say that i liked the story but aren't perfect because i played then.

People write very long guides detailing how to reach any possible ending and discussing the events of the game on kingmaker. Only because it doesn't have cinematic CGI after every single combat, doesn't means that the game lacks story.

I gave en example: Old Sycamore which is multilevel dungeon filled with same enemy composition over and over again. So far, I haven't seen anything that level of bad but the Sycamore was Neverwinter Nights1 kind of bad. (...)

Old Sycamore has undeads, spiders, kobolds and other types of creatures not so frequent and guess what. Fighting a single spider, or fighting spiders on a different place with different "formation" changes things a little.

the bigger issue I had with systems rather then how those systems were expressed (meaning - through game space, rather then under-the-hood dice rolls).

DICE rolls are what makes this games meaningful. Imagine if Finger of Death always OHKilled or never OHKilled. That would be bad. Having a chance to OHK(nwn1) or deal colossal damage(pfkm) and the enemy having chance to resist the spell is what makes the game interesting. So you can put the enemy in a cloudkill to lower his CON and fort save, pick spell focus necromancy and so on, not to OHK anyone, but to increase the difficulty of resisting the power to end someone's life. That is so cool and interesting.

Same for martial combat. You can increase the chance of being hit but NEVER be completely invulnerable.

There is nothing wrong with not liking dice rolls, but a game trying to adapt a TT RPG heavily based on dice rolls should maintain the dice rolls. Just like FIFA should be faithful to soccer rules.

veteran
veteran

I assume that's sarcasm.

Did you at least finished the chapter 2 before criticizing the game's lore/story?

Checked the walkthrough and no, I am somewhere halfway through 2nd chapter it seems. ok, I will take you for your word, though I have heard from other sources that it doesn't get better. But maybe overcompensating-midriff will have a compelling story arc afterall. Maybe they will turn those awkward dialogue trees and cringy writing into something entertaining. You didn't sell it well though.

Only because it doesn't have cinematic CGI after every single combat, doesn't means that the game lacks story.

I never said the game doesn't have story, nor do I recall asking for CGI. Nor did I even complain about Pathfinder's presentation, which I think is quite charming.

Last edited by Wormerine; 08/07/20 12:45 AM.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard