Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by _Vic_
Originally Posted by etonbears
Originally Posted by Sordak
agreed with Vic here.
it isnt depth, it constantly changes stuff around for nonsensical "a wizard did it" or "a god did it" reasons and invalidate the actual depth thats there.

I didn't really follow anything in FR past 3rd edition, but it sounds like a mess initially designed to push people to Eberron/4e which didn't work and had to be reversed with another mess for 5e ?

I wonder if any of this will actually be explained in BG3, or will it be assumed that everyone is a DnD super-nerd smile

IMHO that was more or less what it was with all of the sucession of cataclismic events, yes.

Like in any adventure or videogame based in a franchise, you only need to know about what you need for the adventure, and they usually explain it ingame. The lore easter eggs for fans of the PNP usually are there just for flavor.

I mean, you do not need to know the story of Volo,Drizzt or Elminster to figure out them when they appear in the game; but for people that know the characters beforehand it´s a nice surprise.

Originally Posted by DarkSeldarine
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
Originally Posted by Sordak
the more gods you have the less impact they have on the game.
just saying.

Not every god has to have an equal presence. It's mostly important so that religious characters like clerics, Acolytes, some Paladins and Druids, and others can choose their favourite God as Patron. This is FR, people will be mad if their favourite God is missing for at least being a Patron choice. That doesn't mean every God has to be fleshed out as a NPC.

Agreed with this. If my chosen deity doesn't have the largest impact that's fine by me, but having the choice as a Cleric of who I want to worship would add a lot to immersion and RP for me. I wouldn't be mad if all deities aren't represented, but it would probably limit the characters I created if I couldn't find a deity that it seemed like they would actually follow.

Personally I'm hoping for Eilistraee, which is probably obvious. I want as many Gods/Goddesses as we can get though, even if it's just in name, as they are a large part of the Realms, and always factor in to my decision for a character regardless of class. I love thinking of who they would follow, and what makes sense for their background and beliefs.

As I said before, Larian has the habit of include conversations with your God´s avatar ingame, It would be nice if you can have it here too, but I understand there are too many gods in this pantheon.

Another thing I have to point out is that (sadly) in 5e you do not need to have a God to cast divine spells. You can worship all of them or none, and you still receive spells. You can even be a paladin that broke his vows (and oathbreaker) and still have your usual paladin features and many more.
I hope that Larian will include god-related content , even it´s not that important in the PNP anymore.

Clerics and the Acolyte background in 5e still need to a God in FR, and Divine Soul Sorcerers need to pick one as an ancestor/cause although no need to worship the same God your related to, and Druids get their magic from the First Circle (Nature Gods), no matter who or what they worship in 5e. Also the Zealot Barbarian doesn't make much sense without a Patron God.

The DMG also has a Piety system Larian could use if they wanted.

All the Gods and Warlock Patrons in game have voice barks and Dialog (using the tag system), possibly more effects.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Does anyone know what/who the patron god of humanity is? Dwarves have Moradin, Elves have Corellon, Gnomes have Garl Glittergold, Halfling have Yondalla, even the Drow are stuck with Lolth. Does any god have a 'claim' on humans or are they up for grabs for anyone?

Evil always finds a way.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TheAscendent
Does anyone know what/who the patron god of humanity is? Dwarves have Moradin, Elves have Corellon, Gnomes have Garl Glittergold, Halfling have Yondalla, even the Drow are stuck with Lolth. Does any god have a 'claim' on humans or are they up for grabs for anyone?

Unless this was specifically changed in a 5e book, no, there is no one god who is the patron of all humans. Tempus may come the closest as a "patron" of all (human) barbarian tribes.

veteran
veteran
IIRC
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic

Clerics and the Acolyte background in 5e still need to a God in FR, and Divine Soul Sorcerers need to pick one as an ancestor/cause although no need to worship the same God your related to, and Druids get their magic from the First Circle (Nature Gods), no matter who or what they worship in 5e. Also the Zealot Barbarian doesn't make much sense without a Patron God.

The DMG also has a Piety system Larian could use if they wanted.

All the Gods and Warlock Patrons in-game have voice barks and Dialog (using the tag system), possibly more effects.

there are societies in the Forgotten realms, like Kara-Tur) that have ancestor worship instead of gods, or they worship the God-emperor.
Similarly, societies with totem spirits (Maztica) probably don't have a specific outer plane for their faithful, but you become one with the Bear spirit, or go on to hunt with the Jaguar god for eternity. You have some flexibility in the matter.

I think the lore of D&D is obscure(and sometimes it contradicts itself) but unlike other races, the humans do not have a unified myth of creation and they seem to have come from other worlds or they appeared in Abeir-Toril from several places at several times(It´s canon that The Mulan were first brought to Toril through twin gates to another world created by wizard rulers of the Imaskar Empire), and they exist in many worlds at once; so I do not think there´s a god that claimed humanity as his own that I know of; as @kanisatha said.

Last edited by _Vic_; 12/07/20 03:48 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
After extensive research, I have found that there is no unifying creation myth for humans. The most I got from the origins of humanity is that we were one of the 5 original creator races that inhabited the ancient world, alongside the Aearee (Bird People), the Batrachi (Amphibian People), the Sarrukh (Lizard People) and the Fey. All the other races who came to Toril/Abeir was the result of gods placing them thereafter they were created.
I also read a legend that apparently when Asmodeus was still an angel he was the angel of a god known as He Who Was, who reportedly created humans, then Asmodeus killed him during the Dawn War and we've been up for grabs ever since. Again hard to tell the truth with Asmodeus.
I wonder if this why only Humans of all the mortal races are the ones who have managed to obtain divinity/godhood in some form or other as a handout to level the playing field. Still interesting topic.

Evil always finds a way.
S
veteran
veteran
S

Pelor the Burning Hate of course :^)

veteran
veteran
I have to think about a hypothetical talk between a patient and a doctor in Baldurs gate:

patient: It is terrible. Every few years comes a god or a supernatural desaster and destroys my town. I am so depressed.
doctor: Thats a clear case of post apocalyptic stress disorder. I see this a lot lately.
patient: Is there anything I can do?
doctor: You could try to start the next desaster yourself. Something like that will happen anyway. If YOU start it, at least you know what comes and when it comes. In the best case you become a god and in the worst case, well its hard to look more pathetic than you do now.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Madscientist
I have to think about a hypothetical talk between a patient and a doctor in Baldurs gate:

patient: It is terrible. Every few years comes a god or a supernatural desaster and destroys my town. I am so depressed.
doctor: Thats a clear case of post apocalyptic stress disorder. I see this a lot lately.
patient: Is there anything I can do?
doctor: You could try to start the next desaster yourself. Something like that will happen anyway. If YOU start it, at least you know what comes and when it comes. In the best case you become a god and in the worst case, well its hard to look more pathetic than you do now.

HAHAHA

This is funny wink

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard