Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 54 of 61 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 60 61
veteran
veteran

I still found PoE2 combat tiresome until the they came out with the turn based system. And while PoE did somethings better -- the freedom to ignore the main plot and just explore -- the story suffered some.

Don't get me wrong, I want the PoE engine to be used for a future BG game! I just don't think they will do it by going further away from the rules. 5th ed is just better than the 3.5 / 4th hybrid that Obsidian designed.

(OT but: I have no way to prove this but I question those sales numbers -- sales numbers are now based on steam sales but the classic RtwP games were sold on platforms / mediums that didn't track numbers as well. No way to prove this really but I don't think we really know how many copies of the IE games sold)

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Abits
I find it interesting that the way Larian "solved" the "not fun" combat is by keeping the mechanics from dos 2

I'd find it interesting if that was their reasoning, that is, 5e combat is not fun.
Because Solasta is implementing 5e combat almost to a fault, and people are praising it as the best thing in the game.

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

I still found PoE2 combat tiresome until the they came out with the turn based system. And while PoE did somethings better -- the freedom to ignore the main plot and just explore -- the story suffered some.

Don't get me wrong, I want the PoE engine to be used for a future BG game! I just don't think they will do it by going further away from the rules. 5th ed is just better than the 3.5 / 4th hybrid that Obsidian designed.

(OT but: I have no way to prove this but I question those sales numbers -- sales numbers are now based on steam sales but the classic RtwP games were sold on platforms / mediums that didn't track numbers as well. No way to prove this really but I don't think we really know how many copies of the IE games sold)

I compared it with other RTwP games that came out shortly after PoE / PoE2, hence classic in "".
As for them, we can easily compare sales.

V
V
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
It's a relevant example -- I actually think Sawyer's decision to incorporate 4th ed mechanics was part of the reason PoE failed. He was quick to embrace a system that most D&D fans rejected. PoE combat was tiresome and "never miss" aspect was a large part of that.

If I could have the PoE plot and visuals with ToEE combat that would be perfection itself. It's just sad that Troika never put any energy into story telling because their rule implementation was perfect.

The first PoE sold better than the rest of the "classic" RTwP RPGs. The PoE2 fell because in the first one they tried too much to sell the game based on the sentiment from the IE era in first PoE.
And as it turned out, it was such a serious mistake that in PoE2 they modernized a large part of the project. They changed the system from "per rest" to "per fight" and practically removed the rest restriction.
Unfortunately, as it turned out, they did it too late and many players, disappointed with PoE, did not even buy PoE2 (which is definitely a better game).
As it turned out, relying on fans of old RPGs is not a very good idea if you want to use a fairly large budget.

That is only one interpretation, though. I daresay that the market and the audience for CRPGs was never that great to begin with. Obsidian was the first, delivered and it was well-received. And that sparked a sort-of revival of the genre that the players could not fill. Tyranny, for example, is an even better game than PoE, it is simpler, more accessible, threw away a lot of the ballast of PoE (like it's successor) and also told a very fresh story with very high replay value, yet was not hugely popular. I daresay the biggest issue of PoE 2 is the setting. It simply came four years after the pirate hype in the media was over and everyone was saturated. Gameplay-wise it was what BG2 was to BG1, but it did lack a fitting arch-enemy, Irenicus is just an unavoidable villain.

So I would put the "failure" of PoE2 down to the setting and to a lesser extent, the story, with an audience that is smaller and more unforgiving than expected.

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Danielbda
I find it interesting that the way Larian "solved" the "not fun" combat is by keeping the mechanics from dos 2

I'd find it interesting if that was their reasoning, that is, 5e combat is not fun.
Because Solasta is implementing 5e combat almost to a fault, and people are praising it as the best thing in the game.

There is no point in comparing these games. Solasta doesn't even have 2k reviews on Steam where BG is over 25k.
In addition, both games have a different target audience as well as different budgets.
Solasta as it's a small niche game whose creators can afford to please only D&D fans, which is not possible in the case of BG.

addict
addict

In addition, both games have a different target audience as well as different budgets.

Yes, that's why inviting fans of BG to what they wanted to do seems...strange. Larian had to know this kind of threads will pop up ^^ I think it would have been "safer" to start of with a D&D game not related to BG and then move in into BG3 eventually?

Like i have to admit simply poiting at BG while being clearly focused on dos when it comes to the gameplay they want ultimately works as a formula. I think those who whine the most expected more " patting on the back". More things showing that you're back in BG series. Hard to blame them really, BG still sells 20 years after it's success ^^ Not many games which achieved this.

There are always people who will say " it's not the same". Every series be it games , films or anything else have this problem.

I totally think BG3 put aside some of the features from BG2 it didn't need to though. More " winks" towards the old bastards known more commonly as BG fans wouldn't hurt. Which exactly we discuss daily on this forum in other threads. This thread is clearly a " my butt hurts" one.

Last edited by virion; 07/11/20 09:52 PM.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
addict
addict

There is no point in comparing these games. Solasta doesn't even have 2k reviews on Steam where BG is over 25k.
Solasta as it's a small niche game whose creators can afford to please only D&D fans, which is not possible in the case of BG.

Makes a lot of sense comparing these games because they are both party isometric RPGS based on the same system. Having 2k reviews on Steam doesn't change that.
They have the same audience as well, which is fans of isometric RPGs.

And if Larian wants the game to sell more they SHOULD follow the rules closely since tabletop D&D fanbase is far bigger than DoS. Have you seem how (more) massive D&D has become in the last 5 years?

R
old hand
old hand
R

Makes a lot of sense comparing these games because they are both party isometric RPGS based on the same system. Having 2k reviews on Steam doesn't change that.

And if Larian wants the game to sell more they SHOULD follow the rules closely since tabletop D&D fanbase is far bigger than DoS. Have you seem how (more) massive D&D has become in the last 5 years?

Do you really think most D&D fans will buy this game even if it's 100% RAW D&D? I sincerely doubt.
As for those who buy it, I doubt most would care about the modified rules if the game is good.
Of course, there will be those who will not buy for this reason, but it will be a definite minority.
In addition, the computer game is governed by different rules than PnP.
A large part of the players will be people who do not have contact with D&D on a daily basis, or those who don't play regularly.

Last edited by Rhobar121; 07/11/20 10:12 PM.
veteran
veteran

+1

addict
addict

Do you really think most D&D fans will buy this game even if it's 100% RAW D&D? I sincerely doubt.
As for those who buy it, I doubt most would care about the modified rules if the game is good.
Of course, there will be those who will not buy for this reason, but it will be a definite minority.
A large part of the players will be people who do not have contact with D&D on a daily basis, or those who do not play regularly.

Yes, I think that following 5e more closely will bring in more D&D players. Speaking for myself, being able to see your tabletop character in action is a huge selling point.

The whole point of comparing BG3 to Solasta is that Solasta is implementing 5e rules almost literally, and it works effectively. Solasta addresses most common complaints regarding BG3's combat, which are related to things that players should be able to do according to 5e rules but can't.

Last edited by Danielbda; 07/11/20 10:33 PM.
addict
addict
On the subject of PoE2 (Pillars of eternity 2 , deadfire) I really think the game is criminally under-rated.
The modding community is very active (this is a super easy game to mod for apparently) Particularly with all the current mods the game feels great (community patch, deadfire tweaks, enhanced user interface, more AI conditions, wizard revisions, The funnening improved classes etc... ) Please give it a chance. Most little nit-pick has basically been addressed. I adore the setting and atmosphere. Only played it in realtime/pause not that clanky <takes forever> turn based mode.
I prefer the music to BG3.
I prefer the atmosphere (realtime day/night cycles, overworld map travel, NPCs reacting to you AND weather and other stuff...etc...)
I prefer the UI and dialogues.
And basically lots and lots of cool little details.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 08/11/20 12:04 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Seraphael
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Saying that the game doesn't "feel" like D&D, to YOU, is perfectly fine feedback. Accusing people of being deceptive, with no proof other than your personal feelings, is most definitely not civil.

Really now? This is just me saying this kind of feels like DOS3? Objectively this is a pretty radical departure from D&D which Larian did in fact assert they were faithfully porting. YOU are the uncivil one to so easily dismiss this as purely based on "feeling" of a few malcontents when it is so clearly NOT. I even stated as much in the post you responded to. Stop this hypocrisy NOW.

This is what Larian said regarding this very issue a year and a half ago:

"We asked Vincke about the experience of adapting D&D, to which he replied:

We started by taking the ruleset that's in the Player's Handbook. We ported it as faithfully as we could, then there were some number of things that we saw that doesn't work that well, and so we started looking for solutions to do that. The hardest part—and this is the most interesting part also about it, because there's a lot of stuff from the rules that actually ports quite well, so—but the most interesting part is the role of the Dungeon Master...

Whatever is not in the book he'll say "Well, I'll do this," and the Dungeon Master says "Sure!" And then he'll think about what type of check he's going to make you do, and then that's going to be what you're going to roll with, and the entire party will work with that. In a video game, you don't have that, so in a video game you have to make systems that allow you to do this. And so, coming up with those systems has been a lot of fun, and making them link to the ruleset as it is has been the interesting bit about that."

The second paragraph of this quote is the caveat that Larian took and went crazy with to excuse not really sticking with the first paragraph. If you agree this is a faithful D&D port, then fine - this wouldn't be deceptive, but I guess that would make you a denier of objective reality. The changes already made WILL INEVITABLY force an avalanche of homebrew to fix now broken classes, feats and spells so this issue will get worse unless Larian begins to adjust to the feedback provided. Which is the meaning of early access after all.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...-turn-based-rpgs-and-dreams-coming-true/

So like they said right there, they started with a strict port of the rules, then had to start adjusting things to make a more enjoyable video game. That's not "deceptive", it's having a different opinion than you about how much house ruling is acceptable in making a D&D video game. They aren't sitting around in their board room cackling and twirling moustaches, saying, "We will make those suckers BELIEVE that this is based on D&D, but we always intended it to be completely NOT D&D, hahahahahaha!" You can disagree with their specific rules changes and design philosophies all you want, say that Solasta does it better or whatever, but you don't have any grounds to say that they are deliberately being "deceptive". They're trying to make the best D&D game they can, for the largest audience.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Sven_

That may have been DOS, but I don't see it here. Quite the contrary, the (hand-placed) unique items/loot seems reasonably rare. That is, compared to other modern games, obviously BG1 is an entirelly different beast of its own (one I miss very much).

Well, we are already in a much better place than in the past (I FIERCELY hated the randomized loot in both DOS 1 and 2) but I'd say there's still some fine tuning to do to reach an ideal spot with loot distribution.
Right now there are arguably a bit too many magic items for a level 4 cap and UNQUESTIONABLY way too much random low value loot cluttering our inventories in the most annoying way.

At least Kingmaker "solved" this issue by systemic design:
1) by having a shared stash between all party members that made the minute busywork a little less busy (and yes, I think it's one of these cases where giving up a bit of "realism" is beneficial)
2) by giving strong incentives to actually travel light (tiredness mechanics and effects on travel speed plus bland time limits that rewarded you for moving quickly) and making non-magic equipment (armors and weapons) too heavy/cheap to even deserve being carried around.

So did you actually enjoy how Kingmaker made your party both encumbered and exhausted practically all the time? Because that was not an element that I liked at all.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Sven_

That may have been DOS, but I don't see it here. Quite the contrary, the (hand-placed) unique items/loot seems reasonably rare. That is, compared to other modern games, obviously BG1 is an entirelly different beast of its own (one I miss very much).

Well, we are already in a much better place than in the past (I FIERCELY hated the randomized loot in both DOS 1 and 2) but I'd say there's still some fine tuning to do to reach an ideal spot with loot distribution.
Right now there are arguably a bit too many magic items for a level 4 cap and UNQUESTIONABLY way too much random low value loot cluttering our inventories in the most annoying way.

At least Kingmaker "solved" this issue by systemic design:
1) by having a shared stash between all party members that made the minute busywork a little less busy (and yes, I think it's one of these cases where giving up a bit of "realism" is beneficial)
2) by giving strong incentives to actually travel light (tiredness mechanics and effects on travel speed plus bland time limits that rewarded you for moving quickly) and making non-magic equipment (armors and weapons) too heavy/cheap to even deserve being carried around.

So did you actually enjoy how Kingmaker made your party both encumbered and exhausted practically all the time? Because that was not an element that I liked at all.

Limit on weight isn't a enjoyable feature for sure, but necessary or you'll be carrying around 90 potatoes that weigh 8 pounds lol smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by fallenj
Limit on weight isn't a enjoyable feature for sure, but necessary or you'll be carrying around 90 potatoes that weigh 8 pounds lol smile

I have imagined PC with a large sack of potatoes on his back.
Agony suits you, suffering less so
Now I know what she meant to.

veteran
veteran

Yeah but -- as you know -- precisely nobody is asking for that. Or to make us find diamonds to raise people from the dead. Or to have people remove armor at night before they sleep. But there have been some fun, faithful ports of D&D combat rules -- ToEE, BG1 & 2, IWD were more faithful ports of the rulesets of their respective editions than is BG3 to 5th ed. and combat was very fun.

Last edited by KillerRabbit; 08/11/20 01:57 AM.
veteran
veteran

Sure, once I started understanding the system I GREATLY enjoyed that it forced me to be wary of that aspect and it gave me genuine benefits for paying attention to it.

What's best, at the same time between "bags of holdings" and a generic understanding of what was valuable and what not it made it fairly easy to manage. Far less busywork than the current management of the bags in BG3 involves.

I always traveled trying to stay "light" or at worst medium at the beginning (when I was packing rations) and as a result I could travel in a single day 4-5 times the distance of when the party was heavily encumbered.
That's precisely what allowed me to complete the first major goal in under a month and get that sweet +2 dueling sword as a bonus reward, for instance (and even later in the game, to hardly ever suffer from the restriction of "time limits" to complete questlines).

Last edited by Tuco; 08/11/20 01:59 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand

Yeah but -- as you know -- precisely nobody is asking for that. Or to make us find diamonds to raise people from the dead. Or to have people remove armor at night before they sleep. But there have been some fun, faithful ports of D&D combat rules -- ToEE, BG1 & 2, IWD were more faithful ports of the rulesets of their respective editions than is BG3 to 5th ed. and combat was very fun.

That's per person for sure, not enjoying BG1 combat at all atm. I could walk down stairs, get some coffee, and these dorks would still be swinging away.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by fallenj

That's per person for sure, not enjoying BG1 combat at all atm. I could walk down stairs, get some coffee, and these dorks would still be swinging away.

Yep. I've never understood why so many people say the combat in the original BG games was so great. I mean, it was fun at the time, but at the time I didn't know any better. And then they say the combat in Planescape: Torment is so much "worse" than BG, but that boggles my mind as well, since it's the same damn combat.

addict
addict
Did you know that the original creators of BG1 and BG2, had begun creating a BG3 that had *nothing* to do with the previous stories, with NONE of the previous characters and was going to be turn-based. LOL

I wonder how some here would have reacted to "Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound (2003)" from Black Isle Studios (dev) and to Interplay (planned publisher).

nb : I am not saying it was necessary to use the term Baldur's Gate 3, but Black Isle Studios had some rights for that term/IP, but not of other names, so they had planned on using it. Of course, Larian is not the original creators of BG1 and BG2, so it is not the same decision/choice and is of course about marketing. Still ironic to see the original BG3 was going to be a whole different story with turn-base combat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur%27s_Gate_III:_The_Black_Hound

( sorry if it was stated before in this thread, but it is 54 pages long )

Last edited by Baraz; 08/11/20 04:10 AM.
Page 54 of 61 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 60 61

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard