Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 56 of 61 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 60 61
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Danielbda
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
I hate how much cheese there is in this game and how you are forced to use it to win, not like in baldurs gate 2 which was 100% cheese free *sets a hundred traps to kill demogorgon*

Enemies cheesed a lot as well. Specially dragons, liches and every fucking mage in BG2.
Chain contingency -> every protection spell in the game -> time stop

Originally Posted by Abits
I just wanna say fuck the TOB mages and their constant time stop

Spell immunity divination + staff of magi + going to make a cup of coffee. nOrMaL gAmEpLaY

S
addict
addict
S
the veils of nostalgia: the combat in BG1 was enjoyable and ultra faithful to D&D rules

the combat in BG1: kiting around a bear while missing with a shortbow for 20 minutes

Your recollection needs a swift kick in the pants. That "bear" happened to be legendary ranger Drizzt Do'Urden. A character you really, really, really wasn't supposed to kill. Cave bears, who you also weren't supposed to kill at level one, basically took the same tactics but a fraction of the time you mention (low AC, high HP).

Funny that you should mention it. The closest creature in BG3 you really aren't supposed to kill is the adult red dragon. Guess what? You can kill it and the githyanki creche in a second using barrelmancy. Who needs 9th level Meteor Swarms when they have Larian meme-combat (coupled again with as broken AI as in the original series)? This is novelty fun, but I predict it will cool pretty quickly and feel like a cheap gimmick that detracts from the many other great aspects of the game.

Last edited by Seraphael; 08/11/20 04:13 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Seraphael
the veils of nostalgia: the combat in BG1 was enjoyable and ultra faithful to D&D rules

the combat in BG1: kiting around a bear while missing with a shortbow for 20 minutes

Your recollection needs a swift kick in the pants. That "bear" happened to be legendary ranger Drizzt Do'Urden.

never heard of him

S
addict
addict
S

Your recollection needs a swift kick in the pants. That "bear" happened to be legendary ranger Drizzt Do'Urden.

never heard of him

Well. The bear you mentioned would go down in a second in BG1. A cave bear would take maybe 20 seconds for a level 1 party. If you don't know Drizzt, then maybe you don't know BG or Forgotten Realms as good as you think you do. Sorry to demolish your meme. smile

addict
addict

never heard of him

Well. The bear you mentioned would go down in a second in BG1. A cave bear would take maybe 20 seconds for a level 1 party. If you don't know Drizzt, then maybe you don't know BG or Forgotten Realms as good as you think you do. Sorry to demolish your meme. smile

The forgotten what?

S
addict
addict
S
Troll harder.

addict
addict
Troll harder.

is this a... sex thing?

apprentice
apprentice
Really? You wanna discuss in which game you can cheese more? lmao

Yea BG1+2 is full of cheese but you can win Every.Single.Encounter in BG3 EA with fog and a bow so yea. Thats a lvl 1 spell btw. You dont need Staff of Magi, you don't need Spell Immunities (lets be real thse type of spell arent going to be in the final game of BG3 anyway) or anything of that sort. All you need is a bow and fog thats it. nOrMaL gAmEpLaY

Last edited by arajaja; 08/11/20 04:36 PM.
R
old hand
old hand
R
How most of the fights in BG1 looked like (at the beginning).
1. Does the opponent have archers?
If not, go to step 4
2. Is the enemy an ordinary kobold, goblin, bandit or other weak enemy? If so, just kill. If not, go to step 3.
3. Walk as one character to the opponents to take aggro. Let the rest of the characters murder them with impunity.
4. Approach as one character, the enemies will start chasing you. Other characters can shoot at them with impunity.
5. If by some miracle the enemy changes target, switch characters and return to point 4
6. The enemy dies.
7. Rest
Later, in most of the fights, you didn't even have to worry about any tactics.

Tactics in BG2
1. Use Death Fog
2. If anything survives use explosive skull
3. If the targets are alive, send the pets.
4. Repeat step 2 as necessary.
5. Rest

Last edited by Rhobar121; 08/11/20 05:11 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
1. Does the opponent have scorers (most fights don't have any)?
If not, go to step 4
2. Is the enemy an ordinarykobold, goblin or bandit? If so, just kill. If not, go to step 3.
3. Walk as one character to the opponents to collect aggro. Let the rest of the characters murder them with impunity.
4. Approach as one character, the enemies will start chasing you. Other characters can shoot at them with impunity.
5. If by some miracle the enemy changes target, switch characters and return to point 2
6. The enemy dies.
7. Rest

Tactics in BG2
1. Use Death Fog
5. Rest

Tactis used in BG3 (this works on any difficulty btw, unlike what you describe in BG1+2 - you might want to get off easy mode buddy, i can also recommend SCS)

cast Fog
step out of fog
shoot enemy
step into fog
hide

wait half an hour for enemies to take their turn
repeat the above

doesnt matter what encounter it is or if they have mages etc. Works on anything.

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by arajaja
If not, go to step 4
2. Is the enemy an ordinarykobold, goblin or bandit? If so, just kill. If not, go to step 3.
3. Walk as one character to the opponents to collect aggro. Let the rest of the characters murder them with impunity.
5. If by some miracle the enemy changes target, switch characters and return to point 2
6. The enemy dies.
7. Rest

Tactics in BG2
1. Use Death Fog
5. Rest

Tactis used in BG3 (this works on any difficulty btw, unlike what you describe in BG1+2 - you might want to get off easy mode buddy, i can also recommend SCS)

cast Fog
step out of fog
shoot enemy
step into fog
hide

repeat the above

doesnt matter what encounter it is or if they have mages etc. Works on anything.

Neither BG1 nor BG2 have ever been difficult games.
Virtually every harder fight in BG2 you could win just spamming the skull trap.
A powerful dragon? No problem, you set a million traps with him and watch him die.

veteran
veteran
There is nothing in there about them not liking D&D combat.

Hmm?

There are some things on the chopping block, however. It's an interpretation of D&D, specifically 5th Edition, because porting the core rules, which Larian tried to do, doesn't work. Or it works, Vincke clarifies, but it's no fun at all. One of the culprits is missing when you're trying to hit an enemy, and while the combat system has yet to be revealed, you can at least look forward to being able to smack people more consistently.

"You miss a lot in D&D—if the dice are bad, you miss," he says. "That doesn't work well in a videogame. If I do that, you're going to review it and say it's shit. Our approach has been implementing it as pure as we can, and then just seeing what works and what doesn't. Stuff that doesn't work, we start adapting until it does."

Last edited by KillerRabbit; 08/11/20 05:17 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
If not, go to step 4
6. The enemy dies.
7. Rest

Tactics in BG2
1. Use Death Fog
5. Rest

cast Fog
step out of fog
shoot enemy
step into fog
hide

repeat the above

A powerful dragon? No problem, you set a million traps with him and watch him die.

Yes you can win any fight on LoB difficulty with that tactic. Go ahead and try. Report how it goes.

If you find BG1+2 too easy, download SCS and play that on insane. It vastly improves enemy AI + spell selection and overall makes the game a lot more challenging. But that is a mod, so i guess not allowed in this discussion? Anyway, like i said. Go play on LoB difficulty and try your tactic there.

veteran
veteran
Yeah SCS removes many of the exploits. And Ascension is really a "semi official" mod made by the game designer that include elements that were removed from the final game -- ToB is sooo much harder with Ascension installed. (but ToB just isn't as fun as BG2)

I never used skull trap because I was always playing a good character who had a problem with grabbing a skull an making it into a trap. Same goes for skeletal warriors.

There are other ways to destroy combat but most people either avoid them or use a mode that prevents them form using them. And some use them and have fun doing so. There isn't a battle in BG2 that requires cheese.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Yeah SCS removes many of the exploits. And Ascension is really a "semi official" mod made by the game designer that include elements that were removed from the final game -- ToB is sooo much harder with Ascension installed. (but ToB just isn't as fun as BG2)

I never used skull trap because I was always playing a good character who had a problem with grabbing a skull an making it into a trap. Same goes for skeletal warriors.

There are other ways to destroy combat but most people either avoid them or use a mode that prevents them form using them. And some use them and have fun doing so. There isn't a battle in BG2 that requires cheese.

But that's true for bg3 as well. And considering the fact it's not even a full game, that's impressive

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
BG3 is impressive. And fun. Make no mistake. smile

I just want that while implementing a more faithful port of the ruleset. The hag fight is a good example -- I didn't have to use any of the homebrew rules on that fight. I just care about the D&D feel. BG had it, ToEE had it, Pathfinder had it -- BG3 not there yet.

On the need to cheese -- right now there is a problem in the AI that makes the Dror Ragzlin fight tiresome without cheese. When pathfinding fails the AI takes forever to acknowledge that. Same goes for creatures that are afraid and have no actions. So when the rest of the camp goes hostile, the goblins that can't find their way (it's not processing power -- I monitor cpu and its not being used) it takes forever for each goblin to give up and realize they will never figure out how to move away from that pillar. I can make a pot of coffee and scrape the frost off my car windows in the time it takes the game to figure out that goblin #3 is stuck.

Of course I know how to metagame to avoid 'all hostile camp' now. But if didn't it would come down to cheese or boredom.

Banned
Banned

but they sure as hell were better written and are more fun to play. still. to this day. after 20 years.

apprentice
apprentice
woops double post my apologies

Last edited by arajaja; 08/11/20 06:14 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
[quote=KillerRabbit]BG3 is impressive. And fun. Make no mistake. smile

I just want that while implementing a more faithful port of the ruleset. The hag fight is a good example -- I didn't have to use any of the homebrew rules on that fight. I just care about the D&D feel. BG had it, ToEE had it, Pathfinder had it -- BG3 not there yet.

On the need to cheese -- right now there is a problem in the AI that makes the Dror Ragzlin fight tiresome without cheese. When pathfinding fails the AI takes forever to acknowledge that. Same goes for creatures that are afraid and have no actions. So when the rest of the camp goes hostile, the goblins that can't find their way (it's not processing power -- I monitor cpu and its not being used) it takes forever for each goblin to give up and realize they will never figure out how to move away from that pillar. I can make a pot of coffee and scrape the frost off my car windows in the time it takes the game to figure out that goblin #3 is stuck.

Of course I know how to metagame to avoid 'all hostile camp' now. But if didn't it would come down to cheese or boredom.

Its still early access im sure that will be fixed when the final game releases. Id also be surprised if the fog cheese stays in the final game. That is most likely getting fixed aswell. Probably by improving the AI (they will look in the fog for u or smth similar)

Last edited by arajaja; 08/11/20 06:12 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Fog cheese? ew.

J'aime le fromage.
Page 56 of 61 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 60 61

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard