Next Thread
Print Thread
#752439 21/01/21 04:46 AM
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Why does your Discord server require a phone number? This seems a little excessive. Nowhere does it list what you are going to do with the number or more importantly what you will not do with the number.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I agree, this is very strange, especially considering that now the database with numbers is often broken and used!

Last edited by RachelColemanov; 05/02/21 05:01 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yah, thats way too much. One to miss I guess.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Is there any possibility that they will take the member's phone number to do bad things? Or will hackers take it?

Larian Alumni
Larian Alumni
Originally Posted by WonkoTSane
Why does your Discord server require a phone number? This seems a little excessive. Nowhere does it list what you are going to do with the number or more importantly what you will not do with the number.

The phone number is a Discord setting. We never see or have access in any way to your phone number through Discord verification.

veteran
veteran
I noticed this as well when I tried to join the BG3 discord. I backed out of it immediately, since I'd never seen that before with the other games I use it for. The prompt said something about it needing additional verification because of too many bot plagues or something, but that also sketched me out a little. I don't even use discord away from my laptop, so giving discord my digits just not something I was into.

Also when I signed up for these forums, I recall that it sent the password to my email without any encryption, but I let that slide cause I was too eager to get away from the Steam boards and into a more civil and less frantic place to post thoughts, and just changed it after the fact. That was back in October of last year, but also probably something they should look into if that's still going down.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Subscribers of any cellular operator may encounter the problem of blocking the phone. If this happens, then during a call to the numbers sounds in automatic mode information that the phone number you have dialed is temporarily unavailable or blocked, and the text of this message is different. I have often faced such problems, and while solving the problem, I usually use a phone number generator. First, it is very convenient because it is free for a certain period, and second, all the data is confidential.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Okay but I don't want to give Discord my phone number in order to talk with you..

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard