Print Thread
#902034 23/09/23 12:00 PM
K
Kukuso Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Everytime I switch from a keyboard to a controller on Mac, the game thinks that I’m starting a coop and splits the screen.

Is there a way to stop this madness except for waiting for another patch?

Kukuso #902221 23/09/23 06:31 PM
H
stranger
stranger
H
Same! So so frustrating.

Kukuso #902249 23/09/23 07:17 PM
S
stranger
stranger
S
Same problem. Tried everything, nothing helps. Extremely annoying, I've bought the ps4 controller for this game! badsmile
Please FIX!

Kukuso #902442 24/09/23 04:06 AM
P
stranger
stranger
P
I'm having the same issue

Kukuso #902766 24/09/23 06:51 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C
Same here (Intel Mac, Xbox One controller, macOS Ventura).

Multiple threads on Steam too. Some workarounds but none working for me.

Just filed a bug report. Hoping to see this solved fast since it seems trivial and is really blocking for anyone who wants or has to play with a controller (for me UI is too small to see in keyboard mode).

Kukuso #903368 26/09/23 12:08 AM
S
stranger
stranger
S
Yes! I came here to say this. Can’t wait till you fix this, Larian!

Kukuso #904053 27/09/23 11:38 AM
C
stranger
stranger
C
Really hoping that Mac users won’t have to wait in a bugfixing queue for another month or 2 with this just because we’re not even close to PC or PS5 audience counts.

I for one am patiently waiting since early August release when I’ve bought the game on Steam sincerely believing that I’m buying a full Mac game as that’s what Steam page was indicating, then I’ve invested in GeForce NOW instead of getting the refund - all because it’s a great game and it’s just my beloved BG taking the next step.

Kukuso #904066 27/09/23 12:04 PM
G
stranger
stranger
G
I've had this issue since about half a day into patch 3 (brand new purchase when patch 3 went live for macOS, no previous EA code hanging about). Experienced with DS4 on Bluetooth, and on a cable.

It coincided with a few other interesting UI issues, such as the trackpad not opening the map or inspect, depending on context.

However, the last two days it's settled down, both the unwanted split screen, and the trackpad, and I don't know quite why. I have fiddled with all the suggested changes (Steam input etc...) but at first they made no difference, maybe finally something has took hold. This is before today's hot fix 7 as well, which hasn't regressed further AFAIK.

I reported it as a bug anyway the other day, so I'm sure we'll see it in the patch notes soon. Patience!

Last edited by griffrawk; 27/09/23 12:04 PM.
Kukuso #942371 02/05/24 09:30 AM
G
stranger
stranger
G
It's now May 2024. This is *still* not fixed as of hot fix 25.

macOS 14.4.1
DS4 controller attached via USB

Even with the addition of the disconnect second player option, its still very flaky as to whether connecting a controller, as a single player, makes the game split-screen and think a second player has joined. However that option is only present on the main menu.

A character creation dialog appears in the split, but the controller buttons are also split across the two screens. Impossible to use it in this condition.

A second player has not joined.

I press X to interact with an object, I'm prompted that another player is attempting to join.

A second player has not joined...

Switching characters (L2) prompts me that another player is attempting to join.

A second player has not joined, I cannot stress this enough!

All I want to do is play my single-player game with a controller. No split screens, no multiplayer.

I reported this as a bug through the proper channel back in September, received an acknowledgment, but nothing since.

Kukuso #942386 03/05/24 11:06 AM
G
stranger
stranger
G
So after giving this a thorough workout again using all the accumulated wisdom to mess with various settings to no avail:

- Steam Playstation Controller Support
- Disable Steam Input for BG3
- macOS Accessibility settings for BG3 and Steam launcher

I've found the most reliable fix to be enshrined in this Reddit post reply https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...;utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

...namely to delete / move / rename as appropriate, a plist file in the game related to controller definitions:

~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Baldurs\ Gate\ 3/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ 3.app/Contents/Resources/GamePadDefinitions.plist

I have no idea what decisions the game code makes in the file's absence, and I'm not one for normally deleting 'random' files in the hope that something works (40 year IT career tells me there should be a logical reason!), but in this case it seems to be the most stable solution.

Over to Larian to figure out what interaction their code & this file is having with how macOS / Steam is presenting a single controller as potentially multiple controllers, thus fooling the game into the false multiple player scenario.

It's possible that the file will reappear at the next patch / hot fix, so one to watch. Hope this is useful for anyone else.

Last edited by griffrawk; 03/05/24 11:46 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard