Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Sereda2
This is why I find the current dialogue options problematic and why I would like to see more choice.

The conversation after the ritual with Ascended Astarion

Here the writer shows us that Astarion saw Tav assisting him as a transaction and he now wants to know what Tav expects in return.
This is totally in character for A. A. and it works really well, showing us that in spite of ascending and gaining such great power, Astarion is still damaged. He is insecure and he still has low self-esteem. He cannot not believe Tav helped because they love him, or simply felt that ascension was the best option for him.
In the responses, the options are all very different, giving the player a good choice of motives for Tav.

I wanted what was best for you. (altruistic, reassuring)
I wasn’t about to release 7,000 hungry vampire spawn into the world. (chose the lesser of two evils)
I don’t feel great about it to be honest. (no motive given but expresses regret over allowing the ascension)
I wanted a powerful ally, and now I have one. (selfish, transactional)

However, player if choses the altruistic, reassuring first option, the second set of dialogue choices is far too narrow. There is not one positive response to the question,

'So, tell me what you desire. What can I do for my dearest pet?

I want to be a vampire, like you. (selfish, transactional)
I want you, I want your body. (selfish, transactional and completely insensitive!)
You can tell me that you've learned something from all this. (Preaching and hostile)
I am not your pet. (hostile)

These options are far too similar. There is no altruistic or reassuring option and I really feel there should be.
Personally, I feel that option two is the most problematic here, because Tav knows Astarion's past. They know how he was used by Cazador and the effect that had on him, so it seems very odd at this point in their relationship for Tav to say they also want to use Astarion.

I also feel the player should have a chance to respond if they mind-read A.Astarion and find out that he feels Tav is degrading themselves by staying with him and speculates that they might enjoy that degredation. It makes no sense to me that Tav would not even attempt to have some dialogue with A.A. after a discovery of this magnitude, especially if they do not see things the same way as A.A.

With Spawn Astarion, before the graveyard scene, the issue is again the lack of choice in the dialogue options, but in this case, the player has no way of choosing a negative or hostile response.

Why do I think this is a problem?

-It breaks the fourth wall.
If the player cannot chose an option that is a reasonable match for their Tav’s motivations, they are still forced to choose something and then deal with the consequences of that ‘choice’. This pulls Tav out of character and leaves the player feeling railroaded, forced to follow a narrative that does not feel true or authentic to them.

-It removes player agency.
One of the main selling points of a game like BG3 is that it gives the player the freedom to not only determine their character's appearance and class but also to give that character a distinct personality. Tav's personality is given expression through the choices the player makes in game and this gives a wonderfully rich experience that can leave the player very invested in their character.
However, when Tav's responses are limited as in the examples above, the player loses agency. They are no longer in control of the narrative and this makes their experience far less immersive and enjoyable.

These are excellent, concise points on the issue we're discussing in this thread.

For players who frequent and prefer the AA path, these are discussed very often as a failure in proper RP writing.

Of course there are plenty of other valid criticisms to his characters writing. But this is one I see discussed with more frequency than most. Not Astarion's dialogue, but ours.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by jinetemoranco
To be honest, I mean the entirety of the dialogue Astarion says there, "There you are, I've been waiting, etc...", but yes, that too. The morning after is good though, I really liked that you can pick on him a bit and he takes it really well, I think those are always the best dialogue options to pick with Astarion.

For me, that morning scene is more than serious, and picking on Astarion after watching him greet the dawn, seeing his scars, and listening to him talk about how Cazador cut them out is definitely not my thing, and I won't do it even if there are curious answers there. But, for the sake of a fuller character study, I'll look for someone else's video of that scene, since you say it's interesting. In the Act 3 scene I'd really like to respond with some funny joke to his line about "pets", behind the monitor I salute and say something like, "Captain Garfield is ready for the next mission, sir!" Certainly not such a silly line, something more witty and appropriate, but a good joke instead of some corny swearing in response to Astarion calling Tav a pet - that would liven up the dialog scene wonderfully.

Act 2 and Act 3 scene (I think both of the Act 3 scenes, but unsure to which degree, I know Act 2 scene was almost if not completely them) were written by the same person. The act 2 scene is extremely good, I think I spent the entirety of the next day after playing it still chewing on it.

Yes, I was also impressed for a long time after the Act 2 scene, it was a feeling of inexpressible deep tenderness for Astarion, as if he handed his wounded heart into my hands, and I hold it as carefully as possible, and there is nothing more precious in this world. I want to see another confession scene after Orton, other players have said it's even better, will be curious to compare. Act 3 scene in the graveyard - I don't see any problems with the script, but it leaves a heavy, oppressive emotional impression, a longing. But this is my personal perception, and I don't want to rate scenes for other people's walkthroughs, it's up to the players who choose that route. I don't understand at all why Tav can't open Astarion's consciousness in Act 3, after passing the check in the kneeling scene, when they did it in Act 2. "Open your mind" is a great option for a confession (in Act 2 it's just a pity you can't do it at the same time as the embrace, it would be perfect), but it's in Act 3, after "Astarion thinks you're degrading yourself by staying with him" that it's just the first thing that comes to mind, not in words, but just so he can see, it's what I want to do, it's what needs to be done, but it can't be done! And then I remember that in the second act I did it. And I haven't forgotten how to do it. But now I can only kneel silently, that's it, Astarion must think I like to degrade myself. There's only one, one choice, there's no other option. Act 2 has two great options, so then I load up the save just to hug Astarion, two more not so flashy but quite good options, like asking him to do what he wants to do, or saying that you can be together and you don't have to sleep together to do it, if it were possible to choose these options not as the main line but as additional lines, I'd love to do it. And in the third act, that's it, bad lines, and it's mandatory, straight-up mandatory that I have to sign off on the fact that I enjoy degrading myself. It looks like the author can write well, and only at certain specific moments, for whatever reasons of their own, don't want to do so.

I think with Act 3 there's still a narrative that Tav is being used as a tool for to reinforce the story that's been set up by Rooney for AA's characterisation, and I personally appreciate it. They're selfish options for a reason, but I'm, again, personally quite uninterested in the power couple Sylas/Delilah angle or the devoted angle, so of course I'm content with not having an option that reflects that. But that's just me, and there's no harm (or much of a cost, really, I think) in that extra option.

What kind of history did Rooney create for AA's characterization? Rooney talked about the complexity of Astarion's character and also that all paths should be comfortable to walk through. I don't think he assumed as if everyone who loved his character and helped him ascend necessarily liked to degrade themselves and wanted to sexually objectify Astarion. And if you play without the romance, there's nothing wrong with AA's characterization; those who value Astarion as a friend, and who "don't care about 7000 jerks to keep their brother from burning" don't complain about anything at all, except that (especially after patch 6) they joke about "Well, you, Astarion, are a total... It's a good thing I'm not a woman".

I read about Sylas and Delilah, I completely understand Delilah and give her +100 approval, if there was an opportunity for such a point of view and such a roleplay - it would be an unrivaled story. Except in this case more players would ascend Astarion and the "moral lessons" might completely fail. Love without devotion to me is no longer love, it's something that has no value. And if in reality loneliness is far better than a relationship without devotion, then in a game I would rather have a game without romance than a romance without devotion. Of course, this is my point of view, others may think otherwise, and I believe that in an Ascended Astarion romance, devotion is one of its defining qualities. In the hearts of the players who ascend him "per aspera ad ascend", love him, try to fight for him and will not abandon him no matter what, will do the mods themselves if they have to. In an ideal world, of course, there would have to be two authors, one for your story and one for ours, and the option to choose between those two lines. But honestly, I'm glad no one warned me beforehand that Tav would be a tool, BG3 wouldn't be a full-fledged RPG (RPG is a roleplaying game, roleplay is the main word in the very name of the genre), that instead of an RPG I would be forced into a novella about a "cycle of abuse" and made to love degrading myself, then I would have made round eyes, said "ew!", wouldn't have bought the game and never met Astarion. Astarion is worth all that, right now I just want Larian to fix the really awful scenes (kissing patch 6) and it would be fine to give just one good line to talk in the post-Ascension scene. I'm not asking for any other changes in Astarion's behavior, on the contrary, I'm afraid of any changes in Astarion's behavior, I don't believe in anything good, including regarding the scene under discussion, just so there's no cognitive dissonance from the option I choose and that's it, especially since it really doesn't cost much.

Last edited by Marielle; 16/04/24 04:26 PM.

Aeterna Amantes. Lovers forever, until the world falls down.

My Love Is Cancelled.
Lets please get back to the original topic, that the OP started. Shall we? Thanks! <3

enthusiast
enthusiast
Here are some great lines suggested by players in this thread. Every one of them is better than the ones in the game.

Yuniex:

“I'm happy is over and you finally get to live again!"

"I'm happy that you are free, and is enough for me to be by your side".

Ametris:

'Now I just want to get rid of the tadpoles' - Astarion could say: 'That's the next step, of course. Thanks to the ritual our chances of survival have grown exponentially... And they still can grow further. You could become something more as well, my dear. One little bite...'

"I want to be with you' - Astarion could say: 'Darling, that's exactly what I want as well. To be with you, always. And I have the means to make it a beautiful reality. We could be together for an eternity...'

'You don't have to do anything for me, I'm just glad he won't bother us anymore and we can relax now. We're finally free of him.' - Astarion could say: 'Oh my dear, you truly are the sweetest. We are free, yes, and we'll never have to worry about it anymore. Just like I never have to fear anyone again... so can you become stronger and see all your foes fall before you. You could be so much more..."

'I think we should toast to our victory. I've been saving a bottle just for the occasion.' - Astarion could say: 'You are just so adorable. You even thought of that... awww. We'll do it eventually of course. But don't you want this night to be truly memorable and one of a kind? You could become mine forever...'

'We could go for a midnight stroll in some dark alleys and look for trouble. Not like I'll have to worry about getting hurt with a mighty vampire lord by my side.' - Astarion could say: 'Haha, what a delightful idea, we should definitely do it one night. You could actually become untouchable yourself, you know. I can make it happen... You could join me in immortality and be mine forever...'

Bethra:

'I just want to be with you my love'.

Nicolean Complex:

"I just want to be with you"

And I'll add my five cents just for the variety of options:

"You're free! You feel alive again! You've had your revenge and you've gotten everything you deserve - all the joys of life are open to you, and they're yours. Can there be a greater reward for me than this?"

Last edited by Marielle; 16/04/24 07:13 PM.

My Love Is Cancelled.
B
B
Completely agree with OP. One of the PLAYER dialogue choices in this conversation should be supportive and positive. Astarions dialogue doesn't need to change at all. I'm kinda fed up with being moralised at.
I choose him because in my role play I love him. I didn't know being a vampire like him was even an option when I ascended him (we never spoke about it before) at the time this conversation lands he hasn't even offered it. I spent most of Act 2 and whatever portion of Act 3 I'm now at being celibate, so he could get over his trauma so wanting his body wasn't a main motivation for anything. He can call me pet, or any other endearment, whenever he wants and I like it.
So why on toril am I now being all hurtful and confrontational when he isn't trying to pick a fight and I'm certainly not? I loathe this dialogue.

# Justice for Astarion
Agree with Marielle.

And

Agree with Bethra.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I agree with Bethra. There was no dialog about vampirism, he never suggested it before, and I didn't even have it in my mind either. All I cared about vampirism was Astarion's problems with the phenomenon. I reacted with great apprehension to any suggestion of getting rid of the maggots (what if it works and Astarion without the larvae goes back to being a ordinary spawn with all the consequences that entails), after the ritual I was finally able to experience genuine joy and relief, why would I be resentful and aggressive? The fact that he is no longer hungry or in need of a larva is far more important to me (and consequently to my Tav) than the fact that Astarion decided to call me a pet (oops, trouble!). Tav might joke about it something like, "Well, I hope it's at least a wolfhound and not a bologna," but certainly not offended like a little girl. I would never hint (and even less demand) intimacy with a loved one if he had a trauma related to it, after all, in asexual relationships people can love each other perfectly well and be happy together, only in the case of a directly expressed desire and initiative from Astarion himself, I could want intimacy with him. I don't understand how the Ascension ritual could have influenced me to suddenly become sexually incontinent, because no one did the ritual with me, and it doesn't seem realistic to me that participating in the ritual as a helper and spectator could do that to my mind.

My Love Is Cancelled.
I also agree that he should be the one to offer the consort option. Not Tav asking for it. That should be his gift to offer, not us demanding it. Just my opinion though.

stranger
stranger
Agreed 100%!

I also noticed it all the way back when I first got to this polint with my first character and was entirely taken out of the game because of how wildly OOC this all was. You can either demand things form him.. or blame/whine at him. What intelligent character, who presumably knew what they were getting themselves into, would react in such a way?

Larian, you pride yourself on letting us play they way we want, considering even the most outlandish options and catering to even the darkest, most messed-up scenarios, and yet THIS is the place you think it's appropriate to make moral judgements and "teach lessons" to your - presumably - adult and intelligent audience?

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by DarkAngelBeckons
I also agree that he should be the one to offer the consort option. Not Tav asking for it. That should be his gift to offer, not us demanding it. Just my opinion though.
This is much much more logical.

If the parameters of his romance is you HAVE to be turned or he breaks up...the relationship parameter is *his*, not the PCs.

Making him be the one to bring it up is more consistent.

Last edited by Natasy; 01/05/24 02:49 PM.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard