Next Thread
Print Thread
#652897 13/06/19 01:49 AM
Megorek Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello there,

Just bought DOS2 yesterday, and I've been crashing every single time I play. Whether it's 5 mins in, or half an hour (Haven't gotten past that)

I normally get the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED followed by Reason:DXGO_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Now, I've searched Google and tried a few solutions, including the regedit TdrLevel 0 trick. No luck.

I'm at a loss, and I don't want to refund this game.

Playing on GoG, 8700k no OC, 1070, latest video card drivers, 16 GB RAM.

Please help.

veteran
veteran
Check for any programs you have that may try to apply an overlay to the game, like overwolf or discord and turn them off. Same with any alleged "game performance boosters" or something called 'gedosato' which someone recently discovered that was making their game crash.

Do a clean reinstall of video card drivers, perhaps?

I assume you've tried some common solutions like running as administrator (both steam, and the game from the game directory), verify game files etc.

If not, if that doesn't help, you could email supportdos2@larian.com with a dxdiag report (WinKey-R, type in dxdiag and hit enter, then when it finishes loading click on the 'Save All Information...' button and save the report somewhere handy). Also check the '..\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\bin' folder for the gold.log file, and if any 'CrashDump' files are being created, zip a few recent ones together to include too.

Support
Support

Do you have this problem with the Classic version of the game, if you don't mind testing that for up to an hour?

Did you try shutting down all non-essential programs, etc, before starting the game?
One person with unspecified DirectX errors (the game froze rather than cash, and they couldn't click on the error message) found that it was caused by Windows 10's game mode notifications; disabling those fixed the problem.

A couple of game updates ago, one person reported getting this error on a monitor with a 144Hz refresh rate, but could avoid it limiting the game to 60FPS. That issue should be fixed, but you could try setting an FPS cap or lowering the game resolution or settings, to see if that makes a difference (in early development builds, some people in QA occasionally got these errors when running multiple instances of the game, or running the editor and game at the same time).

You may have found these suggestions already, but:

A clean re-install of the graphics drivers may help. See here or here, for example.

Several people have reported fixing this error by using MSI Afterburner (download page) to slightly underclock their graphics card; see here ('lower both the "Core Clock" and "Memory Clock" options by around 100 (so they say -100). Apply and close.').

One person with an nvidia card reported that disabling G-Sync in their drivers reduced the frequency of DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED crashes. Unfortunately, in that case the problem was hardware related, and other games started crashing before the card died completely.

There are a couple D:OS EE topics on this error (it seems to be rarer in D:OS 2):

DXGI ERROR Crash - turned WIN 10 conflict (reverting back to Win 8 avoided the problem)

DXGI device removed error/CreateTexture2D failed (fixed by a clean reinstall of the video drivers)

Megorek Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for the replies! Will try these out when I get home.

I have only tried the Definitive Edition, not the classic.

Megorek Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hey guys, thanks again for your replies.

What ended up working (So far, fingers crossed), was capping the FPS at 60. I have a 144hz monitor, so good call on that.

Was able to play about 45 mins last night with no crash, so hopefully I'm not speaking too soon!

I
stranger
stranger
I
Hey guys, having the same problem here. Everything from above doesn't help me. Any other instructions or additional files to fix it ? Have the Steam version of the Game

H
stranger
stranger
H
I had the same problem with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED followed by Reason:DXGO_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG. After all possible attempts. It worked !

“Meh.
Just enable user permissions to full control (security tab under properties) for nvlddmkm.dll nvlddmkm.sys in system32.
If the gpu core isn't borked it'll stop crashing."

It really works! Two days without crashes!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/12l01wf/nvlddmkm_4090_crash_solved/?onetap_auto=true

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard