#940435 21/03/24 07:45 PM
P
Paxil Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Interview with Swen.

I was hoping for more D&D, but oh well. Or DLC.

Last edited by Paxil; 21/03/24 07:48 PM.
Paxil #940443 21/03/24 08:37 PM
addict
addict
Shame because the game is really good. Not surprising though as they never seemed enthusiastic about DnD. Personally I’ve no interest in revisiting the Divinity series.

Ranxerox #940446 21/03/24 08:47 PM
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Imagine what they can do with the game they are enthusiastic about.

I feel the same about DOS3. I just couldn't really get into DOS or DOS2.

I secretly hope they came into agreement with Games Workshop to do a WFRP game. It's my wet dream.

Paxil #940447 21/03/24 08:48 PM
veteran
veteran
I hope they'll work on another license or a new IP next.

Quite frankly I feel like I could gladly go on for the rest of my life without ever having to interact with Rivellon ever again, as far as fictional settings go.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Paxil #940448 21/03/24 08:54 PM
P
Paxil Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
It sounds like something totally new. I don't want DOS 3 either. Their main goal has to be that it be as good as BG3, big risk.

Paxil #940453 21/03/24 09:08 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they do another Divinity game as they fully own the IP and have control over it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ThatDarnOwl
I wouldn't be surprised if they do another Divinity game as they fully own the IP and have control over it.
I wouldn't be surprised either.
I would just be disappointed.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Paxil #940455 21/03/24 09:31 PM
T
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
T
I'm glad for them not doing D&D again. Given their level of homebrew and how they felt restricted by its rulings.

Personally, I'd love a new Divinity game, as I enjoyed DOS1 & 2 (Though miss me with DOS2's awful armour system)

Though, with how they talk about things it's possible they're going to be doing a new IP for their next title. Which would also be fine, as it would be another IP they have full control of so they can do their rules their way.

Taril #940456 21/03/24 09:40 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by Taril
I'm glad for them not doing D&D again. Given their level of homebrew and how they felt restricted by its rulings.

For me it's the other way round: "restrictions" due to dnd greatly improved gameplay compared to d:os2.

Speaking of "massive," Larian has future plans for an RPG so enormous, it will make Baldur's Gate 3 look puny.

I'm not convinced Larian can handle a game of a much greater scale than bg3.

- You are one of us now. - Yes, I suppose I am.
Paxil #940460 21/03/24 09:59 PM
G
stranger
stranger
G
I read that article and it has me scratching my head in confusion a bit. While I respect their decision to move on, there were so many moments in the epilogue that alluded to something more. It wasn’t exactly subtle at hinting that there was another adventure to be had from most of the companions (and Withers’) comments.

I know Larian doesn’t do DLC’s, but it is upsetting to read that they don’t plan on at least expanding just a tiny bit (I know it’s probably because of the whole Hasbro/WOTC issue but still upsetting nonetheless). I’d even pay for it, but I know that’s not their preferred business model. They did say they do still plan on updating the game, but I'm not sure to what extent.

Last edited by Glitches; 21/03/24 10:11 PM.
Paxil #940461 21/03/24 10:06 PM
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Well, blame WoTC for all of this. There is probably even no one to work with there at this point. The whole team, that Larian cooperated with, is long gone now, which doesn't inspire confidence for future projects.

Cahir #940465 21/03/24 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Cahir
Well, blame WoTC for all of this. There is probably even no one to work with there at this point. The whole team, that Larian cooperated with, is long gone now, which doesn't inspire confidence for future projects.
I think it's frankly far fetched that WotC is the reason. If anything I could see WotC being willing to write a blank cheque for Larian to do "w/e" for Baldur's Gate 4 given how well received 3 was. It's much more likely they just want to do something else instead and the split was amicable.

Paxil #940470 21/03/24 11:45 PM
addict
addict
Whatever they do next there will be barrels.

Staunton #940471 21/03/24 11:49 PM
T
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Staunton
For me it's the other way round: "restrictions" due to dnd greatly improved gameplay compared to d:os2.

I mean... I'd rather developers that work WITH the DnD rulings make DnD games as opposed to ones like Larian making a DnD game DESPITE the DnD rulings.

I'd take Owlcat over Larian any day for a DnD game as it will mean a more accurate representation of DnD ruleset (Albeit not perfect, given the lacking features in some subclasses in games like WotR - But still that game had like 194 subclasses so one can imagine the workload for making them all fully realized)

If I'm playing a DnD game, I want a DnD game.

Taril #940474 22/03/24 02:23 AM
L
L
Originally Posted by Staunton

I mean... I'd rather developers that work WITH the DnD rulings make DnD games as opposed to ones like Larian making a DnD game DESPITE the DnD rulings.

I'd take Owlcat over Larian any day for a DnD game as it will mean a more accurate representation of DnD ruleset (Albeit not perfect, given the lacking features in some subclasses in games like WotR - But still that game had like 194 subclasses so one can imagine the workload for making them all fully realized)

If I'm playing a DnD game, I want a DnD game.

I agree completely. On the whole, I'm disappointed in this game. I wanted Baldur's Gate 3 and I feel like I got some teen angst horror mashup.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ThatDarnOwl
Originally Posted by Cahir
I think it's frankly far fetched that WotC is the reason. If anything I could see WotC being willing to write a blank cheque for Larian to do "w/e" for Baldur's Gate 4 given how well received 3 was. It's much more likely they just want to do something else instead and the split was amicable.

Within the context of Swen's speech at the Game Developer awards it is pretty clear that it's entirely the fault of WOTC/Hasbro.

Given how Hasbro has behaved this isn't surprising. Insisting the game be released before 4th quarter earnings, firing the team that Larian was working with, refusing to negotiate in good faith...no wonder Larian is fed up.

Hasbro is a highly corporate holding company that doesn't respect, or appreciate artistry even when It makes them 90 million dollars. They have a corporate cave-man spreadsheet mentality, focusing on numbers while failing to understand the synergistic value that comes from a holistic approach. They fail by pushing out garbage preferring to cannibalizing their work for a short term win over a long term windfall. I see it all the time - it's the hallmark of corporate mediocrity.

Fuck Hasbro. Larian will be fine, they are taking the hard path that can lead to greatness.

Blackheifer
Taril #940476 22/03/24 02:41 AM
S
S

I'd take Owlcat over Larian any day for a DnD game [...]

Right, they should have just fully embrace dnd than create a Larian take on it.

You know, secretly I'm hoping for an owlcat game (story and gameplay) with bg3's production value (motion capture, character models, voice actors and sound track).

Last edited by Staunton; 22/03/24 02:45 AM.

- You are one of us now. - Yes, I suppose I am.
Paxil #940477 22/03/24 02:55 AM
apprentice
apprentice
And I am glad of this statement. Let them finish BG3 with patches and start a new amazing project. I would like to see something new of course.

Paxil #940481 22/03/24 03:28 AM
veteran
veteran
Would have loved a BG3 dlc or expansion, but can’t wait to hear what they will do next!
celebrate celebrate celebrate

From IGN:
“Vincke says the next game won't be Divinity: Original Sin 3, and that it will be "different than what you think it is" but that it's "still familiar." Elsewhere, Vincke said that the new project will "dwarf" the scope of Baldur's Gate 3, which would be quite impressive given the scope of that game.”

Last edited by Icelyn; 22/03/24 03:29 AM.
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Within the context of Swen's speech at the Game Developer awards it is pretty clear that it's entirely the fault of WOTC/Hasbro.
What they've said about it paints a very different story.
https://www.ign.com/articles/larian...c-then-canceled-it-the-studio-was-elated

In this article it quotes Swen talking about how they felt like they were only doing it out of obligation and that when it was suggested they cancel plans and work on a new game instead the studio was elated.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard