Print Thread
#941608 08/04/24 12:45 AM
I
Infinid Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
On one hand, if every character can jump the same distance, with no consideration of statistics, that's not interesting game play.

On the other hand, ropes don't do anything, and parties get split up because some party members can't jump as far as others.

Work it out.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Remembering Samwise Gamgee i religiously collected all rope I could find.
As to varied jump distances of party members - irksome, I admit. But a reminder that STR need not be a dump stat. Work arounds are easy and many - Swirsy Boots, Athlete Feat, the Jump Spell, the 21 Strenght potion, Misty Step spell ...

P
addict
Online Content
addict
P
I ended up taking the athlete feat on quite a few characters, because not only is it good for evening out any odd modifiers, it also helps our poor low STR characters make the jumps.

veteran
veteran
On one hand, it would be nice if rope did something in the game.

On the other, I start imagining all sorts of clunky mechanics when I think about how it would be implemented. Probably for the best that it was left out, unless someone had a truly brilliant idea on how to use it in an interesting way.

addict
addict
Not to mention the inevitable calls to be able to recruit or romance rope.

Seriously though I think the observation about potential clunkiness is well mentioned.

It is intriguing though how many objects there are that you can pick up and hurl but otherwise have no interaction with.

Last edited by Ranxerox; 08/04/24 09:07 PM.
JandK #941657 09/04/24 12:13 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK
unless someone had a truly brilliant idea on how to use it in an interesting way.
You mean something better than tie another character on your back and jump with them?

I allways hoped that Rope is there to either build a trap (i dunno how to call it in english, and Google is not helping ... we call it Oko in Czech ... maybe loop?)
Or to create a net ...
Or most importantly, so you have option to restrain and capture important targets, rather then simply knock them out and leave them to wake up in the morning able to continue in whatever horrible s*it they did before. :-/ Also ... that i thought was the reason why we had someting simmilar to primitive Cage in base camp ... i was really looking forward for my pseudopacifist run, with capturing Goblin leaders and aresting them, rather than simply kill them out right. Shame. frown

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
B
old hand
old hand
B
@RagnarokCzD
I think the word for trap you are looking for is "snare".
Originally Posted by Ranxerox
Not to mention the inevitable calls to be able to recruit or romance rope.
LOL! Yes!

Last edited by Buba68; 09/04/24 06:24 AM.
old hand
old hand
Yeah, I've also wondered why Larian is ambivalent about certain gimmicks. On the one hand, they're into fun actions like explosive barrels, shove-ping-pong and the like, but on the other hand, they've missed great opportunities to implement DnD's own fun mechanics, if you want to call them that, which are simply predestined for the Larian style of fun.

I'm thinking of spells like Snare, Rope Trick, Pyrotechnics, Vortex Warp and all the cantrips like Prestidigitation, Mold Earth etc. pp.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus
I'm thinking of spells like Snare, Rope Trick, Pyrotechnics, Vortex Warp and all the cantrips like Prestidigitation, Mold Earth etc. pp.
Indeed. Justice for The Rope!

I
Infinid Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
I'm very happy many people responded to this!

When I posted, my main thought was about traversing a space.
A player can go to camp and remove Gale and then go back to the game and after everybody is on the other side of the chasm, the player can go back to get Gale.
In this way, using a rope makes more sense.
My thinking, at the time, was that a rope could be tossed to a party member for a single crossing, or to establish a bridge until a long rest.

[EXAMPLE of potential use: If player "A" cannot jump to the location of friendly player "B" but player "B" could make that same jump successfully, player "A" can expend one rope item to jump to the location of player "B".]

It's great that others have suggested a need for ropes to be useful.
When I first played D&D, rope was one of my top 20 must-have items.
You can't go on an adventure without a rope! (or a towel, if you are going to space)

I understand the semi-3D world of BG3 isn't the same as the semi-2D world of D&D 5E but I do hope this thread is noticed and some fun with ropes comes to be a feature in the game.

Last edited by Infinid; 24/04/24 04:51 AM.
H
stranger
stranger
H
Ropes in WotR was useful and in Kingmaker, it reduced your athletics roll target number when climbing.

Link Copied to Clipboard