Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
At current, torches are too great as weapons in the early levels. 1d4 bludgeoning plus 1d4 fire. That's 2d4 damage for a single hand weapon. What other weapon compares to the mighty torch?

I would suggest a 20% chance of the torch breaking every time it's used in combat.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Sooo not happening ...
I'd love to see elements of armor being destroyed/damaged by critical hits - but I know I will not see that in a Larian game.

V
Vua Offline
apprentice
apprentice
V
Wow, 2D4 damage. You can just completely dominate the game with that. I mean nothing compares other than a plain morningstar or light hammer. Better make sure those get nerfed too. Maybe limit everyone to sticks and sling shots before level 4.

JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A light hammer does 1d4. Half the damage of a torch.

A morningstar does 1d8, which averages to 4.5 compared to the 5 of a torch. And a morningstar can't be dual wielded without a feat because it isn't light.

Basically, we have a non-weapon in the game that functions as a better weapon than the actual weapons.

It's not difficult to understand what the problem is. Good design takes these things into account. Which leads me to the conclusion that Vua simply wants to play a different game than I do.

I prefer tactical combat that's challenging as opposed to rolling around in cheat modes.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by JandK
At current, torches are too great as weapons in the early levels. 1d4 bludgeoning plus 1d4 fire. That's 2d4 damage for a single hand weapon. What other weapon compares to the mighty torch?

I would suggest a 20% chance of the torch breaking every time it's used in combat.

+1

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Torches are great, especially with Shillelagh.

But lets be real, Torches stop being good weapons about 5 minutes into the game when you start getting +1 items, where the bonus hit chance is worth more than the 1d4 fire damage a torch provides.

Torches being used as weapons also have the other drawback of being Larian'd. They ignite sufaces the wielder is standing on, which can often mean you end up with your party on fire constantly, accidentally exploding and potentially ruining spells you try and use.

In short, it's not a big deal. Torches aren't particularly game-breaking as weapons and heck you're still limited to only using 1 Torch if you want the bonus damage (Dual wielding torches will keep one unlit and thus not have the 1d4 fire damage). You also lose out on having a second weapon/shield that provides passive bonuses when using a torch (Which doesn't take long to find given the plethora of items even in Act 1 that are nice to just hold for passive boosts). Also, weapon coatings can't be used on torches so you miss out on the 1d4 poison damage from the millions of poison coatings you can find (Or more damage with the better poisons)

It's a similar story for the Everburn Blade. Useful up until level 3, then you find +1 items which are better and more convenient than 1d4 fire damage.

V
Vua Offline
apprentice
apprentice
V
We don't want to play a different game, I'm just sick of the whining over the most insignificant things. Oh my God, it averages 1 extra damage for the first 2 levels, it needs to be nerfed. It would be a complete waste of time to fix a nothing issue like this when they have a lot of real issues that need to be fixed.

apprentice
apprentice
I don't use the torches to fight with and have no interest in doing so. But I think the torches are perfect as is. If anything they should get a buff to be stronger. After all, getting hit with a lit torch in real life would hurt a lot.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK
What other weapon compares to the mighty torch?
Any, each and every weapon ... if you dip them in fire.

I realize it dont seem that way, but Torch is basicaly same trap as Everburning blade ... it may seem AWESOME at first glance ... but in fact its like m'kay at best. smile

> They are just permanently diped into Flame ... nothing more, nothing less. laugh

All they do is that they save you your Bonus Action at first turn ... and every fifth(?) after ...
And reduce your need of burning surface, if you ever get to that situation where you dont have any at reach ... and man, i have 1 607,9h played of this game ... and i dont think that ever happened to me even once. laugh
Also one more point, Torch, just like Everburning blade ... cant be coated by Poison ... meaning it gets very uneffective against Tieflings (and other Fire resistant, or Imune enemies) ... and there is lots of potentialy hostile Tieflings (and other Fire resistant, or Imune enemies) in this game. laugh

So ...
Nah, its fine as it is.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown

Link Copied to Clipboard