S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
This fight is absolutely impossible.

veteran
veteran
The fight is absolutely ok. What problems did you have? Maybe people here can give you some help.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Sharps97
This fight is absolutely impossible.
It's a feeling I 've had on several occasions during my first PT.
Have you tried switching to explorer mode ? (This helped me to get through the game the first time)

addict
addict
I got to the Bhaal temple myself today, in my 3rd PT, and also got annoyed at what must be a bug (introduced since my lats patch 5 PT) , namely that "see invisibility" is not working on the Bhaalists that turn their visibility on and off each round.
I already noticed this in the counting house, but now it's confirmed.
So yes that makes these fights a lot more frustrating.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
I found it a very hard fight, but once I beat it it felt great. As others have said, there's no shame in turning down the difficulty if you've had enough. I just did that in another game that I wasn't enjoying the boss fights for.

I got to the Bhaal temple myself today, in my 3rd PT, and also got annoyed at what must be a bug (introduced since my lats patch 5 PT) , namely that "see invisibility" is not working on the Bhaalists that turn their visibility on and off each round.
I kept forgetting that my Tav had See Invisibility for most of the game. I used Shadowheart's Spirit Guardians to find them by sending her wandering near where I thought they might be. Occasionally chucked a bomb if I thought they were further away.

To be honest I probably got lucky with the rolls the time I won the fight. This is what I did:
Tav (halfling bard) approached from one set of steps with Greater Invisibility to get a good vantage point. Jaheira approached from the other side in invisible Panther form. Shadowheart and Minsc (gloomstalker ranger) waited on the top level. Lae'zel is the one strapped to the sacrifice table.
Tav opens the fight with level 5 Hold Person on Orin and as many of the cultists as she could. Orin immediately transforms to the Slayer but is still held. If her still being held is a bug, I'd say she shouldn't have been able to transform while paralyzed either.
Shadowheart & Minsc jump down with Feather Fall, with Minsc getting off the first round bonus damage before they can close the distance to enter melee. Jaheira also pounces.
After a few rounds when Orin broke Hold Person I had Tav start shooting her with arrows of paralysis poison. The other three were mostly clearing up the other cultists, with Jaheira tanking damage through Wild Shape. I think I also threw a few of them over the edge with those repelling arrows.

Like I said, I think I got lucky that Hold Person and the paralysis arrows worked so well, but damn it felt like an achievement when it was over!

journeyman
journeyman
Is highly underrated, but a level 4 conjuration spell called Guardian of Faith is also a great one, Shadowheart should have it in her arsenal.
If you cast it between your group and Orin's group, and then hide behind it past the staircase, it will detect and kill all the invisible minions that approach you.

If you are not a dark urge and want to deal with Orin easy, you should prepare either by scrolls or high level spells such as Magic Missile and Curriculum of Strategy: Artistry of War between two casters to drain her unstoppable, then whoever is next on turn to fight Orin can just unleash everything they got, Orin is really not too hard once you grasp this concept, if it wasn't for unstoppable she would not even feel like a boss fight.

WIth unstoppable having more counts on higher difficulty such as Tactical/Honour mode just means you plan ahead by having level 6 magic missile infused with lightning sparks and Curriculum of Strategy: Artistry of War scroll in your possession to help drain all 12 charges of Unstoppable and still be able to land some damage on her, you are looking at making up to 18 hits or there abouts.

I hope this will help you in your future fights somewhat. smile

veteran
veteran
For the Bhaalists with Sanctuary, use AoE spells or bombs. AoE hits people with Sanctuary too.
Just make sure to not hit the hostage or have a wizard with Evocation.

The magic missiles are a good advice, combine that with a Haste spell or potion to be able to cast even more MM.
You can get an amulet in the Underdark from Blurg or Omeluum ( don't remember) , that strengthen your MM and gives the spell to the wearer. So you theoretically could equip a non magic user with it to get Unstoppable quicker dispelled.

Hold Monster or Otto's Irresistible Dance works for Orin to keep her occupied, if you want to deal with the mobs first.
A Guardian of Faith at a choke point is great advice.

As Durge, you only have to deal with Orin, her followers won't attack you afterwards.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
I wouldnt say impossible ...
But in some cases its quite clearly unfair.

I just recently finished my Durge playtrough ... and there i accepted Orin's challenge to a 1v1 duel ...
I even had the Slayer form on my character ...

I basically used only attacks with most hits, so i bite trough her 9 (wtf larian?) stacks of "nope you didnt" buff as fast as possible ... and yet she massacred my Slayer form and my character in 3 rounds. -_-

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I wouldnt say impossible ...
But in some cases its quite clearly unfair.

I just recently finished my Durge playtrough ... and there i accepted Orin's challenge to a 1v1 duel ...

The 1v1 fight has to be the hardest variant. I bearly got through on DUrge without slayer form on Tactictian and it was all thanks to my mummy, 2 ghouls and the Dance Macabre.

So Wizard Necromancer may be a tactic to any who are struggling. Since all your adds can join in the fight.

addict
addict
I used the slayer form in my dark urge PT just once, in the fight with Balthazar. Even Balthazar's flesh golem felt stronger than me, so I never used it again after that. Being a bard/warlock with good DEX , my role was 2nd line artillery trooper , letting Lae'zel do the hackwork.

The DU duel with Orin was tricky, but I think I got some help from the tadpole powers. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly how I downed her.

In my last PT as Tav, I concentrated all attacks on Orin and got her down without too much problems. The frustration came afterwards with the invisible Bhaalists. I didn't have Shadow in the team, an so no spirit guardians. I relied on the "see invisibility" magic, but that's not a good choice, so do foresee some othere way to cope with them.

Last edited by ldo58; 22/04/24 12:59 PM.
veteran
veteran
My memory is blurry as I did the fight only once a while ago - I am pretty sure I crowd controlled Orin with my bard, and used AoEs to dispatch Bhaal cultist. After that burning down Orin's HP wasn't too difficult.

stranger
stranger
I beat it on my first try. Maybe you should try including two front-line martials in your party.

Link Copied to Clipboard